Logo

Evinrude 30hp surges at full throttle

Evinrude30hp

have a 1990 evinrude tracker 30hp that runs fine at idle. take it to the lake and it runs fine in no wake zones. whenever the motor is cold the boat will run fine at full throttle. whenever it runs for 10 minutes and the motor gets hot it will start surging like a cylinder is missing. thought i was getting fuel in my lines/not getting enough fuel. replace primer ball, fuel lines, fuel connections, electric choke, fuel pump, new coils, carb cleaned, spark plugs checked all connections, and its still doing the same problems. tried pumping the primer ball whenever its surging and it doesnt help. bring it back down to idle it runs fine. idle back up surges. starting to get wrapped up in a lot of money and its hard to troubleshoot due to the fact it only does the problem whenever its at full throttle on the lake. has anyone had any similar problems and the solution. thanks

Do a cylinder drop test on it to see if you can narrow it down to one cylinder. Also try squirting some fuel in the carb throat when it acts up.

I had exactly the same problem on a 1991 25HP Evinrude E25TELEIE.
Couldn't figure it out. Finally took it to the local dealer. They fixed it,
but couldn't/wouldn't tell me what they did to fix it. I've had a feeling
that there was a partial blockage of cooling passages in the powerhead.
You might try putting the engine in neutral and "racing" it. See if anything
comes out the tell-tale.

Drain the carb and figure a rebuilt power pack will fix it then. Ot is a common power pack over heat situation.

Last edited:
Is the warning horn active....... Beeps when key is turned to the ON position?

You state in your initial post that the "surge" causes the engine to act like a cylinder is missing.

Taking into consideration that a surge is a constant up/down or in/out type scenario...........

Does it actually act like there's a sharp instant sudden drop in rpms like one would yank off a spark plug wire (ignition)... OR... does the engine slow down gradually, then just as gradually pick up the rpms again (fuel or possibly mild overheating)?

Back