Logo

Evinrude 235 V6 Shift Rod Height

chrineal

Hey all,

I've a 1983 evinrude 235 hp model E235TRLCTD, and I've recently pulled the lower unit to change the impeller.
I accidently messed up the height of the shift rod so I'm trying to measure it again.
I got myself a CLYMER Evinrude shop manual for 50-235hp 1973-1987 to help with this.
This manual says that the shift rod height from gearcase to offset hole in Neutral for my motor should be 21 1/16 in. However, the shortest setting of the shift rod in neutral is still longer than 21 1/16in, so this height may be wrong for my motor.

Does anything know what the proper height should be for my motor?

Strange indeed.-----How did it shift for you last year ??----Did you try turning the shift rod to adjust it.-----This just makes no sense if it shifted OK before !----Never had an issue with my 235 HP motors with shift rod !

Shifted fine below I took off the lower unit, so the shift rod should for sure work, I just don't know the proper height anymore!
And yes, I turn the shift rod clockwise to shorten and ccw to lengthen. If you still have your 235, are you able to measure the shift rod height for me...? LOL

So if I set mine at 22 1/16", when I put my control in neutral and the shift rod in neutral, I cannot screw in the locking pin because the shift rod offset hole doesn't line up with the shift linkage under the carbs. Looking more closely, it looks like the shift rod is too short. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Must be something weird, because it doesn't make sense.

Back