Logo

Evinrude 200 XP, fuel issues

binkoba

Hi. I have just bought a boat with an Evinrude 200XP ve200sletc.

Boat ran but was leaking fuel from the throats of some carbs.
I have put new carb kits in all resetting the floats as I went.

Now the engine will start after pumping primer and pushing key, will keep running if key is pressed in. But will run for 10 to 20 seconds after key is let go and then stalls out.

If I pump primer it never gets Rick had like it does if I remove from the motor and plug the end of the line.

What should I try next please?

Sorry. Do you not understand any of it, or just my auto correct typo?

The primer sentence should read, if I pump the primer it never gets really hard like my friends boat or other boats I have owned.

One of the primary indicators of a healthy fuel system is the fact that the primer bulb must get firm and stay firm until the engine starts.
You are basically manually pressurizing the fuel system, from the bulb to the carb needle and seats.

If the bulb will not stay firm, then there is a fuel leak somewhere from the bulb to the carbs. Somewhere.
One possible fault is that the primer bulb itself is defective and will not hold the pressure. But you say it gets firm when fuel line is disconnected from the engine and capped.

So concentrating on possible places for fuel leaks to occur....6 needles and seats, primer solenoid valve in wrong position, primer solenoid valve leaking fuel past,
fuel lines faults, fuel leaking at vacuum switch, etc etc etc....

You should be able to pump the primer bulb up and see fuel leaking somewhere. Examine carefully.

Now on to your idle problem....you put carb kits in....but did you clean the throttle bodies? No one ever does.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes , I did the whole carb cleaning job, etc , carb cleaner through jets etc.

I will keep looking for the leak, I understand what you are saying.

One thing I noticed tonight was when I drain fuel from a carb via the brass screw, it seems to be oilier than I would think a 50 to 1 mix would be, is there a clue to no idle here?

One thing I noticed tonight was when I drain fuel from a carb via the brass screw, it seems to be oilier than I would think a 50 to 1 mix would be, is there a clue to no idle here?

You can always set up a 5 gallon separate gas can with exactly 50:1 in it. That would eliminate over oiling, but I am gonna tell you now....that is not your problem. Over oiling is not your problem.

Think about it.... This problem didn't exist until you worked on the carburetors!

Make sure that the high speed jets located in the bottom center of the carburetor float chambers (way in back of the drain screw) are absolutely clean.

If you didn't set the floats as follows, do so:

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.
Make sure that the RED lever of the Fuel Primer Solenoid is facing the other end of the solenoid.
The Fuel Primer Bulb doesn't get hard? <--- Correct that problem! Check the valves in each end of that bulb.

Back