Logo

evinrude 1984 75hp no power and 2 stroke pouring from carb cover

irishjohn

hi to all
i have a 1984 75hp evinrude and it started to run slow when in the water , it would not get up to any speed and sometimes would give a little "jump" as trying to go. Brought it home poped it in a barrel and ran it, loads of 2 stroke floating in it after a min. Removed the carb cover and loads of 2 stroke poured out, the middle carb is slightly rusted/marked on the "flaps" that open and close when the trrottle is opened and the 2 stroke appears to be coming from here. Any ideas what could be the cause ??
compression test to be done next week but all help welcome.
sorry for all the non technical words for the parts but im no mechanic !!

cheers haffiman, what do i need to do a carb rebuild ?my brother in law is a fairly competent car mechanic and he could do this no problem if you could point me to what i need.??

could it be anything else ? like no spark on the plug ? or no output from the coil ? or is it stuck needle valve end of story ??

Sounds like a stuck needle valve on that carburetor float.-----------------Check it on all 3 carburetors ------------No special tools , skills or parts required to correct this.

cheers racerone, what do i look for and where ? how do i free it ?
total novice here but irelands in that big of a financial mess i haven't got the money to go to a repair shop and pay a fortune to get it done

You need 3 carb kits and gaskets.
Throw in an original OEM workshop manual to get the engine adjustment and synch correct at the same time.
You may get it all from this site.

OOOUPS.
Just noticed you are located in Ireland, and Marine Engine does not send parts internationally. They do however seem to send the workshop manuals.
If you got a local Sierra dealer, he might help you with parts unless you have a good Johnson/Evinrude dealer close.

cheers haffiman
it seems a LOT cheaper to get parts sent from the states to ireland as dealers here only have to order them from there anyway and add their bit on for themselves, i will have a troll through the net and see what i can find and make a few calls to dealers in england to see if they can get what i need. Ireland is a great place but sometimes can be a little backward !!

who would have figured ?
but i bet each one of you knows someone from ireland living in both places ?? we are every where and if were not there yet ...we are on our way !! (ps ireland may be small but we have maps and stuff....thanks for explaining where ontario is though lol"

cheers for the help so many good people in so many far away places.:D

just a quick after thought is it one kit per carb ??

Last edited:
One kit each carb.
I actually visited Cork once back in 68 while in the Norwegian navy, but for some reason can not remember much of it!!!:)

Back