Logo

Evinrude 1982 E115TLCNB consistency issues

Me and my dad have been working on this thing for years now and i cannot find any solution and there are no mechanics around me to give an opinion.
The motor runs just fine in neutral and full bore but when cruising in idle it will sometimes lose half its power and come back after it is given some throttle if we do not give it throttle it will die out anyone have any idea cause we are stumped and have been working on trying to fix it but cant figure it out
Carbs have been rebuilt multiple times
Entirety of the exhaust manifold rebuilt
Head gaskets replaced both sides
Spark plugs/coil packs/and power packs all brand new
Fuel filter brand new
Idle/shift cables are new and adjusted accordingly

Any ideas will be great

Run with a timing light , one cylinder at a time.----See if spark is lost on a cylinder.-----Replace fuel pump diaphragm.----Sorry , but carburetors do not need to be rebuilt 5 times on these motors.

Thanks i will try the timing light and get back to you carbs was rebuilt 2x 1st time was due to age hadnt been in in over 20 years 2nd time was due to a stuck float

Post the actual compression values here.----Test run with another tank and hose.
I do know when looking at it from behind the cylinder in the top left is low by around 15 psi but we have no way of addressing it and when head gaskets were replaced cylinder walls are perfect still and heads had not wiggle

Run with a timing light , one cylinder at a time.----See if spark is lost on a cylinder.-----Replace fuel pump diaphragm.----Sorry , but carburetors do not need to be rebuilt 5 times on these motors.
Fuel pump is brand new as well could it go bad in less than a year?

I guess I missed the " new fuel pump " in post #1----Sorry------These motors are famous for broken rings.----Need to remove bypass cover on #2 to inspect piston rings.

I guess I missed the " new fuel pump " in post #1----Sorry------These motors are famous for broken rings.----Need to remove bypass cover on #2 to inspect piston rings.
If i were to have to put new rings on it would i have to pretty much rebulid the power head or is there a way to remove and replace it without rebuilding the power head

You have been working on it for years ????-----Now it seems you do not want to take a few minutes to inspect rings.----Cost you a $4 gasket ?----Very puzzling to me.

You have been working on it for years ????-----Now it seems you do not want to take a few minutes to inspect rings.----Cost you a $4 gasket ?----Very puzzling to me.
No i was saying after i inspect the rings on the suspected cylinder if i were to have to replace it does the power head have to be rebuilt or is there an easier way to replace it without completely tearing it down and yes i have been working on it since 2016

Yes the whole motor needs to come apart.----If you find broken rings I suggest 4 new pistons.-----Not a hard job if you are familiar with wrenches and want to learn.----Tough to find a shop that will work on these.----I helped a big shop out last year rebuilding a motor like yours.----Faztbullet is also offering some very good coaching here as well.

Yes the whole motor needs to come apart.----If you find broken rings I suggest 4 new pistons.-----Not a hard job if you are familiar with wrenches and want to learn.----Tough to find a shop that will work on these.----I helped a big shop out last year rebuilding a motor like yours.----Faztbullet is also offering some very good coaching here as well.
There are no shops that will work on this near me so everything that needs done i got to do

Keep at it.-----You will find out what is wrong if you do some testing / trouble shooting.-----To me it is not difficult to find out what is wrong.---See post #2----Take some ohm readings on the stator as per Faztbullet..----No need to remove flywheel for that testing.

Keep at it.-----You will find out what is wrong if you do some testing / trouble shooting.-----To me it is not difficult to find out what is wrong.---See post #2----Take some ohm readings on the stator as per Faztbullet..----No need to remove flywheel for that testing.
Just watched a video on how to do it ill whip out my tester and give an update later at work right now but if that isn’t it I’m going to assume it is the pistons

Don't assume anything !!----Do the testing / inspections as suggested here !----If the motor was closer to me it would not take long to figure it out.

Don't assume anything !!----Do the testing / inspections as suggested here !----If the motor was closer to me it would not take long to figure it out.
Yes its a weird intermittent issue sometimes it has full power then sometimes i lose a whole side its the side that has the 15 low psi in cylinder #2 but could that cause both cylinders to not fire on that side i figure if it was psi related i would just lose the 1 cylinder not both they just fill up with gas and we have to “rev it up” to burn off the over filling due to it not firing im thinking it might have a weak spark on that whole side which could fall back to the stator/powerpack/coils/sparkplugs right? The spark plugs are new and set at .030 the coils are are around 2 years old going to test them later aswell power packs are both around 7-8 years old stator is from the factory tests will be done and ill update

Back