Logo

Evinrude 140 hp v4 looper- Red lining in neutral.(E140TLENS)

Con

Help please, I have cleaned the carbs and fuel pump yesterday.Something strange happened today when I took it out on the lake.
Started very easy in very cold tempts and ran great for about 15 minutes. When I returned to pick up passengers I beached it with the outboard down.
No biggie as it was not that fast at all. I tried putting it in reverse while bogged a little bit and obviously it didnt want to go in reverse.
Killed outboard straight away.Pushed it off the sand bank and it went in reverse and forward again without a problem.
After that incident when I tried to start it the revs just redline in neutral (tried +-15 times). The cable is working like normal. I cant control the engine with
the controls although it looks like it is working properly. Was the beaching with the motor down responsible or was it pure coincidence because I might have
stuffed up when I put back the carbs and fuel pump. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to say that when I decreased power to stop, the engine was revving a little more than usual.

Last edited:
Just got this from another forum- I did fiddle with it because it was too tight. Will check it out tomorrow.

As to idling to dangerous levels, my mechanic did that. He was adjusting the friction level on the control box and had it too loose when he fired it up, but sincere thanks for the heads up. He just told me that it shot straight up without a miss or a flood. I never get above 2,000 RPMs on the hose.

Well that wasn't the problem. I haven't put the fuel lines back as they were originally. After putting back the air silence cover I just let it idle on muffs at home. When at the lake I did the same thing to get the engine on temp, so I never revved the engine since putting back the cover. One of the fuel lines was preventing the carby link to get back to it's original spot when the engine was opened up. The butterflies stayed open a tiny bit. Never realized it while on the water. Silly mistake.

Back