Logo

Evinrude 130 Will not start

Crestliner King

I have a 1997 Evinrude 130, (E130TLEUB) outboard motor that I believe has more than one issue. I got my boat out of storage a few weeks ago. Had trouble getting it running. It did eventually start. Ran it through the motions for about a half an hour with the muffs on. Ran fine, no missing no bogging. (cooling system working) Took it out to the lake this weekend and it would not start. Needles to say, my day was done before it even started.

Popped off the cover, getting plenty of fuel but no spark. I think it all started last year. I had a very loose original OEM ignition switch with the push to choke feature and the kill switch lanyard. Also, I had noticed, (last season) that the push/choke function was no longer activating the choke butterfly valves.

I replaced the ignition switch last year, (with the Evinrude OEM replacement). I had the same issue with the choke butterfly's not functioning.
But I had used it all of last season, it started every time and ran fine.

It almost seems like the motor is in kill mode preventing me from starting, (getting spark). I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose this problem.
is there a way to bypass, or jump the wires on the ignition switch to confirm that this is preventing the motor from ignition?

If any one can provide a list of things, (in order) to try, I would be most grateful.

Charge battery.----Load test the battery.----Check battery cables and clean terminals.-----If flywheel does not spin fast enough there will be no spark and motor will not start.

OK-----More trouble shooting on your part required then.-----Just for your information there are no choke butterfly valves on your motor !!!!!-------Sorry to be so blunt here.

Is kill switch lanyard hooked up? Did you try moving remote control handle back and forth while cranking? ( not put in gear , just wiggle it) racer that does have the neutral switch in controller rite?

Kill switch lanyard is on. Wiggled control handle as well. (It does crank when in neutral)
I believe that the control handle neutral safety feature only prevents the motor from cranking if it is not in the proper position, or will this also activate
a kill function as well?

Back