Logo

Evinrude 100993s tach wiring

Kudark

I'm not sure of proper tach wiring, even after a forum search. The plug on throttle box has 3 wires, two are purple and one is red. The tach has three pins marked S, C, and I.

The plug on the throttle box... If you're speaking of the 3 socket plug just below the ignition switch on a OMC control box, the wires would be purple, gray, black. If this isn't what you're referring to, I'd need a better description.

The tachometer markings S,C,I ?... "S" would be Sensor terminal... "I" would be Ignition (voltage) terminal... Could that "C" possibly be instead a "G" (check it), and if so, that would be "G" for Ground.

Throttle box... yes, the three pin socket under the ignition switch. The wire colors are as I stated, two purple and one red.

Tach... the "C" I assumed was for "Common", but it may be a "G" for ground, I'll go get a better look at it.

So, what are the wire placements to the tach, using the pur, gry, blk colors you mentioned, to the corresponding tach pins?

The "C" could possibly be a "G", it's a bit scratched, so I'll assume it's a "G" for now.

The throttle box plug (under ignition switch) definitely has two purple and one red wire, though one purple wire is slightly darker than the other. Locations are as follows:
Port side red, top light purple, starboard side darker purple, coming out of the box.

I'll look at mine after work as I just wired it a couple weeks ago.

The plug I got right off this website for about 30 bucks plugs right in and had purple (+12V), black (GND), gray (tach signal). Just plug to pigtails as I had to make the adapter to the newer 8pin deutsch connector because the tach in my boat is a system check gauge.

I'll look at the pinout for you though to which is where so you can wire yours to the tachometer.

Edit>> If you simply need the connector with pigtails, this is the part number -- 0174732
It's a direct fit to that 3pin plug.

Last edited:
I don't need the pigtail, but I would certainly appreciate knowing which color wires are located in their positions on the plug itself (port side, top, and starboard). Thank you!

Just an update, tach is now wired correctly. Thank you to those that gave me the information to do it properly.

So now the tach reads 2K rpm when off, and pegs the needle when engine is running, so I'll have to do some adjusting under the dash.

Preparing for a second in-water test of the engine, as it failed the 1st test by stalling when engaging into gear, but I already have another thread for that issue.

Back