Logo

Evenrude 99 problem

G

GrantCrawshaw

" I have a 17' river cruis

" I have a 17' river cruiser with an Evenrude 9.9 outboard on the Colne river in Essex UK. It was serviced 4 months ago. After cruising on it for an hour the outboard suddenly died. There was still fuel being delivered, the primer bulb was firm, and water was still circulating, yet I have been unable to start it since. Can anyone shed any light on what could be the problem? Thank You. Grant "

ck to see if you have spark f

ck to see if you have spark first.

"Grant..... when running, the

"Grant..... when running, the fuel primer bulb should not be firm, that is hard such as when you prime it. When the engine's running, the bulb is usually sort of horizomtal and the fuel simply flows through it (more or less half full). If you found that bulb to be hard, I would suspect that the fuel valve inside the bulb (the valve nearest the engine) has come apart and the inner portion has fallen out, turned itself around, then was pulled back into the valve housing..... in effect shutting the fuel off. However, this problem may not be your problem. Best thing to do is as the Darren mentions, is to first check to see if you have ignition & compression on both cylinders. What year is that 9.9hp Evinrude? If you're not sure, let us know what the model number is and we'll look it up for you.

Joe
"

" Thanks for the advice. It is

" Thanks for the advice. It is a 1985 (getting on a bit!) There is a good spark.
Does that mean the problem lies in the fuel, or its delivery? Could there be a blockage in the carb? "

" I have now cleaned the fuel

" I have now cleaned the fuel tank and accurately measured the mix. Still no joy. There is a strong smell of fuel when attempting to start the engine, but nothing more. "

"Grant... You've stated th

"Grant... You've stated that you have compression, and also proper ignition (spark) on both cylinders, and that you're getting fuel to the s/plugs. If someone had the flywheel off, it's possible that it was not re-installed properly, and that the flywheel key (a half moon type key that lines up the flywheel to the crankshaft) has sheared, allowing the flywheel to go out of position. This throws the timing off enough whereas it's impossible for the engine to run. A item worth checking.

Joe
"

Back