Logo

evenrude 115 HP vro problems

Basil D

HI I recently had a couple of fishing trips ruined by an engine that wont start.
Engine started well and got to my fishing grounds and did a couple of fishing trips but after drifting for about 40 minutes it would not start, just crank n crank fired up the back up engine and had a slow drive back home.
Next day I tried to start it and it fired up first go so off I went fishing again and this time anchored up,
after a couple of hours it wouldn't start again so I thought I would check out what's happening here , it had spark and I undid the fuel line and it had fuel, bulb was soft.
next I tried to start it with the lever down at the controls and it would crank and spit with smoke coming out so I got my son to crank it while I manually opened the throttle at the engine and it started for a second or two a couple of time before it got going.
It sounds like its flooding but I not to sure, any one have an Idea.
regards Basil

Also if it is the fuel pump I have the vro disconnected, would I be able to get a standard fuel pump.
Im also thinking of getting a mid 2000 model 4 stroke engine 80/90hp with a couple of hundred hours on the clock and get it sent to Sydney Australia any info on one would be greatly appreciated.
regards Basil

The engine will be cold by that stage so are you doing the same starting procedure as the beginning of the trip when it starts ok? I removed the vro pump off my 70hp and fitted a standard pump 8 years ago with no problems. You can replace the diaphragm for low cost.

I have started my engine the same way so many times with no problems, only the last two times its done this.
And yes I start it the same way as when its cold so its got me.

If it is a crossflow then the first step in trouble shooting is a compression test.-----That is followed by a test to see if there is spark on all 4 that will jump a gap of 7/16" or more.----Slow cranking ( starter motor / bad battery / wiring issues ) means that there will be weak or erratic spark for start-up.-------On a crossflow it is easy to fit a simple fuel pump.-------Just find an 83 fuel pump and the place to bolt it on is on the intake manifold already there.

compression all good 120psi , found earth wire to left side power pack corroded and no spark to both plugs, cleaned and earthed it, started great but it is missing at or just above Idle, I have to put into gear and get the revs up otherwise will stall after a few minutes, any Ideas were to go next.
regards Basil

Last edited:
Back