Logo

Etard looking for answer

ezhoe

"I tried the search function b

"I tried the search function but i give up.. 280 vp,, can a rookie change the shiftplate seal?? special tools?? what causes 2 to go out in short time?? (this is a doug russel) was leaking so had a local shop replace,,and after 3 times out started leaking again.. I have no warrenty as i did not buy the drive,,it was on the boat for a few months,, i'll prolly take back again but looking at it,,doesn;t seem that hard// thanks--ezhoe"

"I don't know what a shift

"I don't know what a shiftplate is. Is it the shift lever which drives the eccentric shifter? If so, I have no clue as to why it would leak unless there was a defect in the metal surfaces which capture the oil seal. A rookie may be able to do this but there are some small pins which need to be removed from the eccentric in order to disassemble and these can be hard to locate visually unless informed in advance. "

"The brass piece may have a ni

"The brass piece may have a nick in it that is eating the seal or as Dennis says the housing is bad and the oil is leaking around the seal and not though it. My vote is the brass piece. Not hard to change out if you go by the book. Takes me all of about 20 minutes but I've done a few, hundred."

"thanks for the replies,, loca

"thanks for the replies,, local shop says they will change it and check out the surfaces for free.. can't beat that---ezhoe--"

Back