Logo

Erratic start 97 200 venom

basssmith

"1997 200 johnson venom starti

"1997 200 johnson venom starting erratic. Sometimes it won't start at the launch. Other times it starts fine at launch, fine after fishing a spot for an hour or two, move again starts fine after two or three hours...no start, tried pushing in key to prime and nothing, no gas smell, but hear "click" with key "in" indicating prime switch is working. Have replaced plugs on the water when it appears flooded, sometimes this helps and it will start, other times no way jose' Had ten trips in a row where it worked fine all day. Now its doing it again. Whaatttt? Engine runs very strong 65 miles per hour loaded...sometimes it just won't start after sitting for 2 or 3 hours. Would having it tilted up for long periods have anything to do with this problem?"

"Morten,
It will crank all ni

"Morten,
It will crank all night long it just won't start, like it has no spark at all sometimes, other times it will try to start with a "cough" here or there like its flooded but most of the time it sounds like no spark. Out of 10 of these episodes, it will finally start after sitting for an hour or so, however three of those 10, resulted in trolling with electric motor back to the launch. Next day, starts right up."

"Next time this happen, discon

"Next time this happen, disconnect the black/yellow cable from power pack to eliminate the stop circuit. If this helps. It might be a faulty ignition switch or even shift interrupt switch that causes this. But first pull apart all cable connectors, and clean. If an ignition component failure it is normally more constant."

Will I be able to shut the eng

Will I be able to shut the engine down if it starts with the black and yellow wire diconnected? I will do it and let you know the results as soon as I go out again.
Thanks a ton!

"To stop, just ground the blac

"To stop, just ground the black/yellow cable, or turn the red 'handle' on the primer solenoid 90 Degree, and it will choke itself. Note that is is about 230 Volts running in the black/yellow!"

"Ok, sounds like a plan. I wi

"Ok, sounds like a plan. I will turn the red handle and not mess with the wire. If it starts, am I replacing the ignition switch or do we have to eliminate the shift interrupt switch also."

Check the movement and give it

Check the movement and give it a spray of WD 40. Even a faulty adjusted shift cable may make it short out one bank of cylinders.

"Morten,
Today I pulled apart

"Morten,
Today I pulled apart the yellow/black wire connection at the power pack and plugged it back together. It did not appear to be corroded or mis connected in its rubber boot. The engine started flawlessly all day every three or four hours, and tonight again at 10pm 68 degrees F outside. If it were barely corroded would pulling it apart and replugging it together be enough for it to stop giving me erratic starting behavior? Bear in mind I never touched the throttle or shift arm since I am on land on the trailer and I did not spin the prop or engage into gear...also did not tilt the engine as I often do while fishing as a precaution in shallow or large rocky water. Would tilting it or not engaging prop have anything to do with this issue? To continue your advice should I just keep trying to start it and wait for failure to pull the yellow black connection and see if it starts with the kill switch disconnected? "

"Start trouble should only occ

"Start trouble should only occur if the black/yellow for some reason gets grounded. Suggest You keep on being happy, and if problems occur, pull it apart and try to start and see what happens. Did You give the shift interrupt switch a spray?"

Just spray at the 'mechani

Just spray at the 'mechanism' so You are sure it moves freely. No need to dismantle anything.

"Morten,
This morning engine

"Morten,
This morning engine would not start, pushed key in to prime heard click...no start. Disconnected the yellow/black junction as you suggested, and still no start. I did spray (with wd-40) the shift switch, but still no start. Pushed key in and this time heard a click and then a second click and it started right up. Throughout the day it started up, and at 9pm this eve it started up. Thanks for your continued help...maybe we have this thing dialed in finally."

"Check the connections and gro

"Check the connections and ground for Your primer solenoid. It might be low-voltage problem to the solenoid.
If problem reoccurs, try to turn the red handle on solenoid 90 degree and crank without pushing the key. Turn back as soon as engine starts. If engines starts, solenoid/electric problem."

Back