Logo

Erie Canal anyone?

diver_dave

Advanced Contributor
OK, the only tie-in here is that my boat has Crusaders, but my job may force a move. :eek:
The intended target is Rochester area New York. Place of business very close to the Erie Canal, just East of the big city. I still have not yet even seen this canal. Do ships still use it? Is it recreational now? Is it a museum piece? Anyway, is this area at all reasonable to keep a 32' inboard sportfisherman? Lake Ontario for a couple ? months in the water would be the new cruising grounds.
Last 30 years we've been all over the Bahamas, and fishing the gulf stream, diving in 75 to 85 degree water, etc. Yes, a huge change to be expected up there. I'm on the fence, thinking not to force my current hobby set to work up there, but embrace the new surroundings:confused:
I did get my ice diving cert. while on a long Chicago business trip one time! inputs?

DD:

No first hand experience but work with some that reside in that area. Based on my remembering some discussions, there was never any "ships" using the canal...large barges maybe. that said, even todays's standards would call them small (maybe 100' max). Do know there are several organizations that sponsor canal cruising events so there is a body of knowledge out there.

If you'd like, I can ask if one of them would point you in the correct direction. Just send me a PM and I will pursue.

Finally, there are several www sites focused on the canals of upstate ny... may get some more nuggets there. The season is much shorter, that's for sure.

Here's a map showing what speeds you can do on the canal.

http://www.canals.ny.gov/maps/staticmap.html

legend.gif

I did the Erie and then the Oswego into Lake Ontario. The Erie is pretty "dead" except for recreational boats. Dave if you want pictures of most of the canal locks and enroute, as well as personal comments send me an [email protected]

It appears that the typical canal speed zones prohibit much of the jet ski traffic a lot of the rest of us are subjected to.

Back