Logo

Engine Wonbt shut off

" Jay,

Grounding the white

" Jay,

Grounding the white wire should shut the engine down.

Connect the white wire to one "M" post and the blue wire to the other "M" post on the switch.

Make sure the black wire on the terminal strip is grounded.

Tony "

" My manual is an '85, the

" My manual is an '85, the motor is an '88. It shows the wires backwards. I switched them and the motor starts. I put the blue wire with the black wire on the ignition switch. It did not "kill" the motor. I grounded the white wire to the negative terminal of the battery. The motor shut off.

So, I guess this means the problem is between the wiring harness and the ignition?

What next? "

" One other thing, when in the

" One other thing, when in the "off" position, my gauges do shut off so it does appear the ignition is grounding something. "

" Finally!! I have tracked do

" Finally!! I have tracked down the bad wire. It's my white wire (magneto), from the ignition switch to the wiring harness. I confirmed this by by-passing the original wire with a new one and the motor shuts off.

Thanks everyone, especially Tony, for you help.

Now, how the heck do I get a new wire into the wire sleeve? I tried to pull on the white wire and it wouldn't come out or even move. "

" Jay,

Don't even try t

" Jay,

Don't even try to get the white wire out of the harness; you have to find a different solution.

I think this will work:

Since you have both a black and a blue wire running through the sleeve (I think), you can make it work with these two wires.

Use the blue wire to replace the white wire. Disconnect the blue wire at the terminal strip on the engine, and connect it to the terminal where the white wire was connected. Connect the blue wire at the ignition switch to one "M" terminal.

Connect the black wire to the other "M" terminal. This wire should be connected to the ground terminal on the terminal strip on the engine.

Tony "

Back