Logo

Engine will not fire

jamiel

I just bought a 1978 venture b

I just bought a 1978 venture bass boat with a 100hp evinrude . Replaced bad solenoid and she fired right up .Now cant get any thing from the ignition. but when i jump at the solenoid the starter spins but wont kick in to place sometimes . what could be the problem. I still have power at places that would not work before I replaced the solenoid. So I don't think its that. Maybe bad Ignition . PLease Help first boat and really want to get in the water .

"take off the hood and check w

"take off the hood and check where the wires plug together, mainly the starter wire, there should be fuses inside the little black booties."

"your cranking problem,...has

"your cranking problem,...has nothing to do w/the ign.EXCEPT,.cranking speed,...needs to be around 300 rpms or so for system/magneto to fire properly...fuses do not control any ign components.what is model number of your eng?"

"As JWB states, the engine mus

"As JWB states, the engine must turn over at least 300 rpms in order to energize the ignition.

You state "starter spins but wont kick in to place sometimes"...... Correct this problem first!

Caused by: Bad battery,good but undercharged battery, loose cables, tight but dirty cable connections, failing starter.

Remove and clean thoroughly all cables associated with the electric starter system.... at battery, solenoid, starter, ground, etc, all of them!

You can check the starter by having a known good and fully charged battery, and using jumper cables attached directly to the starter."

model number is 100999S

ju

model number is 100999S

just jumped at solenoid and it fired up with ignition turned to on position. checked fuses under hood and they seem ok. how do I find out the rpms for cranking. again I get no fire at the key . why would this not be the problem. Thanks

yes thats it . I replaced sole

yes thats it . I replaced solenoid on Monday and it cranked every time until yesterday. while trying to stop fuel leak Wonder also could that have gone bad again?

"ck your solenoid.2 sm post 2

"ck your solenoid.2 sm post 2 lg ones...on sm posts--yell/red wire,on other sm post blk wire directly to ground...lg posts--1 to starter,other to batt pos.--w/test light see if when turned to strt position,u have voltage on y/red wire."

Back