Logo

Engine Temperature and Oil Temperature Range?

Seaworthy1

What is normal oil temperature on a Mercruiser 3.0L engine? I decided to check the temperature with an IR thermometer gun on my engine and found the oil filter was at 220 degrees after running it hard for about 20 minutes. The block low down ranged anywhere from 150-240 degrees. The riser was cold just under 100 degrees, and the manifold was anywhere from 130-185 degrees. The thermostat was cycling between 160-175 degrees and it never went hotter. Is this normal or do I have something going on?

Impeller? Thermostat? Manifold? The impeller was done maybe 2-3 years back, and the thermostat is opening and closing between 160-175, and the riser is cool so I think I'm getting water.

240 degrees on the block has me worried like crazy, even though it is only in one spot and other spots are much cooler within thermostat range. A local old-time mechanic told me it is perfectly fine, he said oil should always be around boiling point to burn off condensation and contaminants, and that the block will have hot spots. I always thought over 200 degrees anywhere on the block and you are asking for trouble.

Is this normal operating temperatures or do I have a major issue?

A local old-time mechanic told me it is perfectly fine, he said oil should always be around boiling point to burn off condensation and contaminants, and that the block will have hot spots.

Ayuh,.... A smart man,....

and the hot spots on the block. That all normal too?

Where,..??..?? Exactly,..??

Back