Logo

engine swap help!!!

What you HAVE to get is longer Dowels to suit the application. They will have to be made as I don't think the longer ones for the length you require are commercially available. And, they NEED to be the exact same diameter, and an interference fit in the Block.

You will notice that there are two alignment Dowels in the block, between the two outer bolt/thread holes and these are used to align the Bellhousing to the Block. So, you need the longer ones to allow the Bellhousing to still align with the Block, no matter how many Spacers you use.

Just using longer bolts isn't going to retain the perfect alignment that is required.

Bruce.

gentleman , could you answer me this.. i found a company that makes a bellhousing spacer that would fit perfectly on my chevy 305 . the problem is it is not thick enough however two of them is the exact size i need. does anyone foresee a problem doubling up the spacers? plenty of room on this barge to move the engine forward. thanx in advance ....dimitri

if they're steel, just clamp 'em and weld them together

Oh dear, if you need the information in "Dummy Terms" then I cannot see you going it youyrself, as you need access to a Lathe, steel, and the ability to operate the lathe, and remove the old ones, and re-install the new ones.

Any engineering shop can make them for you. You need to be able to show them what you need to do, and they will be able to make them. Heck, they could even install them if you took the engine to them.

Bruce.

PS. I could come over and do it for you, but the cost would be huge.

lol thats ok bruce ill find a local hehe, i got enough money in this heap. are they threaded or how are they attatched to the block ? ps just so you all know.. im a sheetrocker by trade so everything needs explanation in dummy terms..lol gday bruce

Last edited:
Ha ha, Sheetrock. Boy, you people have it tough in USA. Small sheets, lots of joints, etc. etc.

The last time I put some in my place, I used sheets that were 6000mm x 1350mm wide.

But, back to basics, these pins are pressed in.

Bruce.

the sheets i hang are 4' x 12' x 5/8 and vary between 120 and 140 lbs depending on the manufacturer. but anyway , pressed in huh well dangit , you dont suppose just using longer bolts is a sufficiant fix aye bruce?

You will have to use longer bolts, but the Dowel Pins are there to maintain alignment.

Just bolts won't maintain correct alignment, and will cause premature bearing, spline and coupling damage.

Bruce.

WHAT...pray tell did you do with the old Buick Engine? Still got it? if so, hows the block? I need one, and cant quite swallow $1300.00 US for a rebuild.
Sorry if I seem to be trying to hijack the thread...not my intention at all.
Just need a block !!!!!!!

I think he had the 300cid Buick V8

which block are you looking for?

there are a couple within an hour of me

v8 - supposedly rebuilt
5084gd7_20.jpeg

V6 - ad says runs
0989jng_20.jpeg

Last edited:
Back