Logo

Engine shuts down after 15 minutes

doc_2048

Hi guys My 3.0 l 140 starts fine when cold and runs fine for 15 minutes give or take a few minutes. I keep the rpm around 3000. Starts to sputter then finally dies. It starts fine when it cools down. I did find corrosion in the wiring harness coupling which i cleaned up. Temp gauge reaches 175 then backs off to 170 and stays there.

And a 140 stat would be beneficial too
Sorry to show my ignorance right now 140 stat?.... The engine is rebuilt by a local company with 18 hours. any way the fuel cap off did not help. I may have another problem. After it shut down after 15 min i waited and trolled for salmon, fired up after around a half hour. It did not sound good, the intermittent noise was coming from were the bearing in the out drive is located or it could be the out drive. i see oil leaking through the intake ports of the lower unit when it set for a bit with the engine off. I have a short vid i will try to post hr or utube. I think i am in store for some big bucks.
film at 11. " a reference about the older days"

Last edited:
If you run in sea water and do not have a heat exchanger, you need to run a 140 t'stat to prevent precipitation of the minerals in sea water all over the passages of your engine.

If you run in sea water and do not have a heat exchanger, you need to run a 140 t'stat to prevent precipitation of the minerals in sea water all over the passages of your engine.
Thank you sandkicker. I do have a heat exchanger never in seawater but i am 3 or 4 or ? owner.. Who says ur to old to learn,,, the good thing is i only have to travel less than a mile for excellent fishing from the moorage .

Last edited:
Thank you sandkicker. I do have a heat exchanger never in seawater but i am 3 or 4 or ? owner.. Who says ur to old to learn,,, the good thing is i only have to travel less than a mile for excellent fishing from the moorage .

You're lucky. While there is decent fishing within a couple of miles of my slip, unless its high tide, its a slow slog thru long no wake areas...

Is the ignition coil getting hot? If so put a ballast resistor going to coil posative and see how she runs. If the ignition module is running off of coil posative be sure and wire the module before the resistor so it gets battery voltage and the coil gets ballast voltage.

Back