Logo

Engine run on after ignition turned off

schadow

"I own a 2000 Glastron with a

"I own a 2000 Glastron with a 4.3 Volvo Penta engine. Engine starts great and runs great at high and low speeds. However, after I turn it off it continues to run on (chugging) a couple of times. Maybe a max of 5 seconds of this before it quits. It stinks a little and sometimes embarassing but the boat runs so good I am hesitant to fool with this much. So my questions are; What causes this and can it harm the engine? Is there a minor adjustment that may remedy this without influencing the perfomance otherwise."

"So my questions are; [b]What

"So my questions are; What causes this and can it harm the engine? Is there a minor adjustment that may remedy this without influencing the perfomance otherwise.

**Detonation from high cylinder head temperatures, possible low octane fuel, too much fuel/air mixture and <u>too lean</u> for that throttle setting <u>once spark ignition is killed.</u> (lower your idle speed)

**Yes, Dieseling can cause an engine to stumble and run backwards, causing water ingestation.... not good!

**With ignition ON and controlled by a spark (not detonation), and running above this rpm range, you'd never notice any of this.

Set your idle speed down to within specs.
Do not lean out your low speed fuel/air metering.
Do not run low octane fuels.
Don't let anyone tell you this is a timiing issue.
Lastly, try to avoid a HOT engine shut down."

"I had the local boat shop add

"I had the local boat shop address the run on issue. Their solution being colder spark plugs and lower the idle speed. Boat still runs great but he lowered the idle too much. Sometimes it kills when putting it in gear. So, to avoid another trip back to the boat shop, is there an easy "layman's" way to adjust the idle up slightly?"

"Yes, there will be ONE idle a

"Yes, there will be ONE idle adjustment screw that you will turn IN. Make sure that you aren't turning the low speed fuel/air mixture screws."

"Thanks, I assume I'm look

"Thanks, I assume I'm looking by/around the carborator. How will I be able to identify which one is the idle? Is it marked?"

no..it is not marked..it is th

no..it is not marked..it is the one that the end touches the throttle shaft arm...NOT the one at the base of the carb.

Back