Logo

Engine Rough Idle when Cold 1983 v-6

jcast2010

Hey Guys,

I have an 83 Sea Ray with a v6 gm engine, it works great, but just recently I started to have a problem when starting the engine cold. Now I am having a really rough idle and black smoke coming out of the exhaust when I start the engine and it is cold. As soon as it gets hot, the problem goes away. This problem started all of a sudden and I thought it was the gasoline, but i figured that if it were the gasoline, it would give me this problem all the time not only when cold. I am thinking going to the choke / choke pull off route, but before replacing them I wanted to get your opinion and see if anyone has had this problem and how it was solved.

THanks for reading,

JC.

Re: Engine Rough Idle when Cold

compression is what? Plugs look like what ? Oil looks like what ?

Do the compression test on a warm motor , all the plugs out and throttle fully down.

Heres how to read the plugs

Spark Plugs

Keep track of what plug goes in what hole

Heres how to do a vacuum test
On Fire vacuum gage

How to Use and Interpret a Vacuum Gauge

never hurts to do a vacuum test. Will tell us plenty.

Post back all the results when we have some info from you to help us help you.

Re: Engine Rough Idle when Cold

Suspect #1 is the carb. Is it original? I'd be inclined to put a new one on and see if that clears it up.

new carb right off the bat 250-300 dollars ?

With not knowing anything ?

You can't be serious.

Maybe it just needs a tune up ? Maybe a wire went bad ?

Do what i posted get back to us.

heat stove pipe for the choke likes to rot out of the intake manifold on those 2BBL 229's, causing a big vacuum leak.
but this is the same boat that has the engine on plywood mounts and drive falling out the back.... who knows what the wiring looks like, or how it's been maintained.

new carb right off the bat 250-300 dollars ?

With not knowing anything ?

You can't be serious.

In a heartbeat Chief. Have fooled with enough carbs to know that when they start to act up it's best to just put on a new one. Saves lots of frustration.

Chit i forgot this boats motor and drive is gonna fall out the back.

My boat when i got it did not run for 8 years, but started up. I had to rebuild the carb 5 years ago. I also pumped every drop of gas out and ran it thru my lawnmower and snowblower.

No problem with the carb. till last week when i put the boat away.Had to change out the motor but i put the mani and carb on the new old motor.

All i'm saying is might not have nothing to do with the carb.

Could be what Hy said.

My ole pice of chit has a rough idle till warmed up.

My friends 92' has a really rough idle till the electric choke opens, and takes longer then my 85' motor, ole style heat stove.

No slam against anyone but i don't buy nothing till i know whats bad.

Last edited:
In a heartbeat Chief. Have fooled with enough carbs to know that when they start to act up it's best to just put on a new one. Saves lots of frustration.
Oh boy, what a philosophy, and must have a lot of money to toss around.

Me, I will rebuild a carby that is full of crud, just like the one on my Buick V6 that was full of crud that came after sitting for 8 years. Cleaned out the Fuel Pump, tank and replaced the lines, and is running beautifully.

If it is running good when hot, you have a heat-related problem with the Choke System, and black smoke whilst cold is an over-rich mixture.

IMG_0005-1024.jpgPicture 083-1024.jpg

As you can see, the carb was full of the same crud that is clumped on top of the fuel tank, and the dirty liquid in the rank is just water to stop any chance of explosion whilst I was cutting it open with the Battery Drill and Electric Saw. (Anything that man has made, can be cleaned, re-built, or got back working with a lot of time and effort, and parts from my stock of old bits)

Bruce.

Oh boy, what a philosophy, and must have a lot of money to toss around.
No, but I don't have a lot of time either.

Taz that carb is just too messed up. I would never in a million years go to sea relying on that. Props to you for getting it going.

My brother bought new in 69' a sears 3 hp air cooled outboard. Sat with gas in his garage in Texas for over 25 years, the carb was just one big ball of hard honey type substance. The chit that gas becomes when it dries out.

About 3 years ago i drove around the country with my family visiting national parks.

Wound up at my brothers house, and he wanted to get rid of a jon boat and the outboard.

So i strapped the boat on my van and put the outboard under the rear bench seat.

Got home opened up the carb and soaked it in acertone for 2 days.

Couldn't find any gaskets so i made them.

That outboard runs like it's brand new. Actually it is cause he used it twice, and put it away with a full tank of gas. The tank i soaked also.

That little 3 hp pushs the jon boat like a scalded cat never checked the speed with the gps but i know i was doing at least 30 mph. Actually i had to pull back on the speed cause i was just to scared on the lake to keep it at wot.

I never had a carb that i rebuilt not function perfectly, but thats me. And all my neighbors bring the snowblowers, mowers all this small engines they have over i rebuild the carb and away they go.

They put that stabil chit in the tanks f---s up the carb every time.

Here is the picture of the completed carby.

Cleaned up pretty well, and living in a place where one has the only carburettered Buick V6, and all parts have to come from USA, one has to do what one has to do.

Even the Fuel Filter got replaced, but I cleaned out the container and that is like new.

The Mud-daubers had filled the Alternator as well.

Boy, you States-siders have a lot to put up with.

Image 001-1024.jpg

IMG_0066-1024.jpg

Back