Logo

Engine removal question please help

andrewmaeyaert

Contributing Member
"Hi there,
i just bought a ne

"Hi there,
i just bought a new boat. it is a 79' cobalt 18'. it is equipped with a 351 Windsor ford, and an omc stringer out drive. the engine has a cracked block, so it has to be removed, and replaced. my question is how do i do that? does the out drive have to come off? if so how hard is is to remove the outdrive? also, i am new to omc outdrives. is there anything i need to know about these stringer outdrives? let me know please. thanks for your time."

"[i]is there anything i need t

"is there anything i need to know about these stringer outdrives?

you'd be well served by doing some checking of the drive and shift cable etc. before putting any money into the engine.

Start by draining and renewing all 3 outdrive reservoirs. (Upper, lower and intermediate)
Check for any evidence of damage (metal or water in oil)

You can remove the engine without removing the outdrive if you can acess all the bolts in the flywheel hsg. and then if the splines of the coupler aren't too rusty.

If you can't get to the bolts, or the coupler won't let loose, then you'll need to remove the outdrive, remove the transom boot and steering cable and remove the engine and intermediate as a unit.

Get a manual- either an OMC one from eBay, or a Seloc brand manual from marineengine.com"

"I used Tremclad white (sp

"I used Tremclad white (spraybomb), after going over it with 220 grit. It came out great. That is, IF your outdrive is white."

Back