Logo

Engine overheates and gas boils on Carb?

Jfreeman1412

Regular Contributor
Hey guys we had a engine over heat on the way in the other day and when we looked at the engine there was gas pooled on the carb and it looked as if it was boiling. I had my mechanic come out and look at it the next morning and he couldn't get it to overheat in the slip. We had flow to the thermastat housing and out the exhaust. We changed the oil on the engine and brought it out again and it ran fine. It is a raw water cooling system. I attached a picture to show where the gas was. So I guess i have a two part question, one what is the deal with the gas and what could cause the over heating? carb.jpg

What did the temp gauge read?

IF the leaking gas and over heating are related, it's possible that the fuel leak caused a lean engine condition. Lean engines will run hotter than properly tunned engines, and are prone to over heating.

If the over heating is not related to the fuel leak then it could be caused by any of several conditions.

I would address the leaking fuel and carburetor to make sure it's tuned correctly. If that doesn't fix the overheating then it's time to start going through your cooling system.

-JJ

Is the Lean engine condition a direct result of the carb? I plan on putting a 1409 on this weekend, will that take care of it and do those carbs need adjusting once they are put on? If not how do you go about tuning them? Thanks

If a lean condition exists, it's a direct result of fuel supply. Whether it be the leak or the carb function.

A new carb may or may not need to be tuned when it's installed. It's possible that the engine runs fine without tunning. More than likely, you'll have to adjust the idle mixture. This is done using the idle mixture screws.

The "rule of thumb" is to turn the screws in until the engine starts to idle rough, then back the screws out until the engine idles rough again. You want the final screw position to be half way between those two points.

A more precise way to use a vacuum gauge and measure manifold vacuum. You want your idle adjustment to result in maximum vacuum.

-JJ

Great Thanks....Do you do that for both screws on the carb? Is one screw for the regular butterflys and the second for the four barrels or what are the two screws controlling?

Back