Logo

Engine oil

"I've noticed a bit of oil

"I've noticed a bit of oil mixed in with the bilge water on my '91' 350 Mag which I'm not hugely worried about as it was the same last year...and the year before but when I dipped the oil it looks a little grey-ish (difficult to see against the dip-stick as the oil is very clean) and smells a bit of fuel, anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

Mark"

Fuel and water diluting the oi

Fuel and water diluting the oil. Check both exhaust manifolds and risers. Cracked block?

"Guy,
Would I not have o

"Guy,
Would I not have other 'symptoms' boat runs absolutely perfect? I only thought to check the oil level out of routine

Mark"

"a dripping gasket or slightly

"a dripping gasket or slightly pushed out freeze plug, and yea a small crack in the block will put water in the bilge, even leaks from water lines to and from heat exchange for the power steering or oil coolers, even the hoses going to the manifolds. You may never notice anything about how the engine is running.

The bilge should be clean and dry."

"Forgot to mention a small cra

"Forgot to mention a small crack on an exhaust manifolds can also drip water into the bilge without reducing cooling much, and the cracks can be towards the head where they will be unnoticed and tough to see."

"Thanks for your advice as alw

"Thanks for your advice as always, already decided that the motor is coming out for the winter lay-up....for a few different reasons I think it's time for a re-build. I'll need all the advice you can give me then as I'm no engineer! Just hope the old beast see's me through this season!

Regards

Mark"

could be a leak from the upper

could be a leak from the upper carrier seal in the outdrive? When was the outdrive serviced and did they pressure check it?

"Thanks Kghost, had the outdri

"Thanks Kghost, had the outdrive overhauled in April, not sure it was pressure checked though as I got an engineer to do it for me. Did some work on the boat today, had a look inside the breather pipes and filler cap, no muck and all clean.....checked the oil again but it's really difficult to guage whether it's actually grey or not as the oil is really transluscent against the dipstick...I may be concerned about nothing?!"

Back