Logo

Engine loses power under load

lmurphy14

Hello everyone! I have a 1959 Evinrude Big Lark, 35 HP, Model number 35516.

I have been having an issue lately where the motor starts and runs fine, but when I apply power to try to get up on plane the motor seems to pop into neutral. The rpm's shoot way up, and the power goes away. I thought the issue was the clutch dog, so I replaced that. I was able to get the boat on plane if I eased the throttle up very slowly, but the issue still persists. I tested the motor in a barrel and I could not replicate the issue at all, so I think its related to how much the motor has to "push"

The issue seems like a shear pin issue on the propeller, but I checked it and it seems fine. Can I get some advice on what else it might be, or if I should go ahead and replace the shear pin anyway?

Thanks for the help!

Instead of prop hub spinning it should have been SLIPPING ! You can replace that if you don't want to buy a prop.

Instead of prop hub spinning it should have been SLIPPING ! You can replace that if you don't want to buy a prop.

After checking out the prop, you are definitely right, I can spin the prop by hand with the shear pin still in. Now to try to find a replacement hub...

Back