Logo

Engine just clicks

shmelvin

I just took my Mercury 115hp EFI 2 stroke out of storage, with a new fully charged battery all I get is a dull clicking noise when I turn the key...any usual suspects?

I just took my Mercury 115hp EFI 2 stroke out of storage, with a new fully charged battery all I get is a dull clicking noise when I turn the key...any usual suspects?
OK after further examination the clicking is the starter Bendix gear popping up and that's about it, not really engaging with the fly wheel and the engine is turning freely so it isn't locked up or anything. It turns out the battery is not new, I did put a 50 amp booster on it and still no change, any ideas other than get a brand-new battery and start again?

I think the clock is your solenoid so you getting power but if the starter motor is not spinning it might be a bad starter: I had to replace the brushes on mine as it did not spin at all

Bad ground or other connection will do this too. Check all battery wires as well for inside the rubber coating corrosion.

Back