Logo

Engine info year or starter ingo

DavidSC

I have a 1982 Carver and the starter failed. This engine was replaced in the mid 2000’s.
I’ve looked all over the engine and can’t find info on the engine.

Can anyone give me an idea of the year range of this 350? Or a place to look for engine id?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1765.png
    IMG_1765.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 8
I have a 1982 Carver and the starter failed. This engine was replaced in the mid 2000’s.
I’ve looked all over the engine and can’t find info on the engine.

Can anyone give me an idea of the year range of this 350? Or a place to look for engine id?
Thank you
Ayuh,...... Chevy has only used 2 starter bolt patterns, straight across, for the 12" flywheel 'n staggered pattern for the 14" flywheel,....
Feel the bottom of yer starter to see which one you need,.....

I suggest you opt for one of the newer permanent magnet motor starter, which is 'bout 1/2 the weight, 'n 'bout twice the power of the old style starters,....

I got a new one but it won’t push into the block. The bolt pattern is correct, but the edge of the starter won’t go in far enough to even thread a bolt. Caledl the starter people and they told me that they told me that I need the year or type of the Crusader engine.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3011.jpeg
    IMG_3011.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 5
assuming the flame arrestor cover is original to the engine, the XL says its a 1992 or later built engine...the U-shaped oil cooler suggests it is a big block vs a small block...so most likely a 454CID. Given the orientation of the exhaust, it appears to have a V-drive so it likely has the flywheel cover mounted starter...so you need to figure out the rotation of the engine to get the correct starter.

The pre-XL versions had the ID plate on the flywheel cover, up under the heat exchanger...the XL versions had the plate mounted to the engine block...the data I have doesn't say WHERE though...there should also be a decal on the valve cover that may give you the rotation.
another item to check is the timing tab - if you can ID the BTDC marking, you can determine the rotation from that. worst case, an educated guess can be made from the drive gear on the starter...

I got a new one but it won’t push into the block. The bolt pattern is correct, but the edge of the starter won’t go in far enough to even thread a bolt. Caledl the starter people and they told me that they told me that I need the year or type of the Crusader engine.
I had a starter like that one and had to take a grinder to the nose cone. That said I replaced it with one of the newer types and will never go back. It is lighter and has much more torque.

Back