Logo

Engine Flushing

My MD11C is raw water cooled a

My MD11C is raw water cooled and as a preventative measure I'd like to flush the raw water cooling loop. I know there are some commercial products such as "Salt Away" but I don't think these are intended to clean out 30 years of salt. I've also read about using phosphoric acid. Anyone have another suggestion?
Thanks
Terry

salt is not the problem it the

salt is not the problem it the calcium and the rust. i run straight muratic acid through the block. you can pick it up from home depot in the pool section. remove impellor and thermostat before you do it and you can use one of those drill oil extraction pumps. it'll come out black. then flush with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. flush with lots of water. you'll get allot of crud out rust ect.. you may want to repeat depending on the severity of the clogging. take all chemical precautions and dispose of properly. just did a md7a it took 3 flushes. i keep removing the thermostat cover to monitor. and run allot of fresh water through between flushes both ways through the motor to dislodge as much rust as possible

"I have an MD-7A that I have r

"I have an MD-7A that I have run Salt Away through, and it helped a bit. I am sure not as good as an acid bath. I just filled my raw water strainer ran it until foam came out the exhaust and let it sit, for up to a month. May be worth a try, before using acid, depending on how bad it is."

Back