Logo

Engine coughingspitting at idle and quits

soccerrj88

"1998 225 Evinrude runs great

"1998 225 Evinrude runs great at anything above 1500 rpms or so but below that will spit/sneeze/cough and when it does that it blows a puff of smoke out of the prop. I cleaned the carbs with some fuel treatment in the gas at the same time spraying deep creep in them. It seemed to help a little bit but not much but now it's just progressively getting worse. On muffs it will work without dieing but in the water, it won't idle, and dies coming to a dock or if not idled up. Any ideas?"

"I was possibly thinking that,

"I was possibly thinking that, but it purrs like a kitten at 1500 or above. I mean it won't even miss or spit and it runs at about 41mph at 5700rpm on a 21.5' CC. That's why i hesitate to do a compression test. Wouldn't it run bad at all rpm?"

"i would ck the linkage,and sy

"i would ck the linkage,and sync of the carbs...then,in the wtr,adj carb low speed needles...i bet that will cure your prob.."

are you premixing? or is VRO s

are you premixing? or is VRO still hooked up?
fuel filter fresh?
Air leaks on the suction side of the pump will affect idle.
The fold out fuel system troubleshooting chart is worth getting a hold of. It covers a lot of bases and refers you back to the page for each test.

"Pre mix with the oil side of

"Pre mix with the oil side of VRO pump plugged. Possibly a leak in the plugged hose on the oil side? fresh water seperator not inline fuel filter... yet. I looked at the manual to get some ideas, but i didn't know if anybody had this problem here or not... It's weird it only does it at low idle. That's what gets me."

"If your fuel tank has an anti

"If your fuel tank has an anti-siphon valve, I would check it for debris. Sometimes the fuel pump doesn't quite have the vacuum to open it below midrange rpm if it gets a bit of crud.

The symptom's a bit too vague for "anyone else had this problem"

I can think of a dozen scenarios that would cause a V6 to not want to idle.. no one of them is more common than the other 11"

What about thermostats and eng

What about thermostats and engine temp.
Even at both banks?
Does it get up to normal (barely to touch) at top of cylinder banks?

I just took the thermostats ou

I just took the thermostats out. Replacing today. That could be one problem but it after running on plane for a little bit it came up to about 130. It didn't want to idle then though either. I'm puting new tstats in so maybe it will get better. Next step is a carb rebuild i guess. How hard is it to take all 6 carbs off and clean them?

Back