Logo

Engine bogging down and not reaching RPMs

alwhitti

Hi, I am new to the forum and look forward to learning more about boats and maybe eventually contributing. I recently bought a used boat with 2003 Mercury 115 2 stroke oil injected engine. Engine cranks right up with ear muffs, idles smooth at about 800rpms and doesn't smoke. Being a novice, the first time I took it out it seemed everything was great with it. It ran great, no trouble whatsoever. I began reading up on the engine and realized that it has a max rpm of 4750-5200 rpms. When I have taken it out, I have never achieved anything over 4100 and am beginning to wonder if it is a prop issue, an engine issue, or throttle cable issue. Today I took it out and while running it bogged down bad to about 3000rpm and wouldn't do any more. I decided to take it in and while going in I throttled it up again and it opened back up to about 3800-4000 and smoothed out. Got it home and changed the in line fuel filter which did have some trash in it and also put new plugs in it.

Being that it may be a week or so before I can take it back out, is there anything else I can do to ensure that it is working properly without having to put it in the water? I cranked it with the muffs on and of course it seems to be running fine but no load on engine and don't want to rev it out of water like that. I am also wondering why I can't achieve the max rpms when it seems to be running correctly. I obviously don't want to run it wide open but would like to know that it can achieve its factory specs. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and words of wisdom appreciated!

Not sure if these would be words of wisdom,but I think you are over propped.But check your boat first,loaded,water logged then maybe drop a couple pitch size.

Well took boat out today after new plugs and fuel filter and it started out great. Accelerated to 5000 rpms and was smooth. I got excited and thought, that was all it took, well I was wrong. Started back going and engine suddenly fell on its nose, would not get over 1800 rpms in or out of gear. Limped back to the dock disappointed. WTH? Time for a carb rebuild or am I missing something easier? Guess I'll call around to some local mechanics.

Back