Logo

Engine beep

gotsea

Regular Contributor
"My merc 2000 EFI 250HP just s

"My merc 2000 EFI 250HP just started to beep 4 consecutive times at regular intervals (about 5 minutes apart) either at idle or WOT and in between, but runs as always, short of taking it to the shop and put it in the compute, what could I do to find out what is the problem, any replies will be greatly appreciate ( I am a new comer to this forum)

Thanks everyone"

"Nithr all that has been check

"Nithr all that has been checked, however I think I may have discover what it is, yesterday I ran the engine on the hose and it did not beep, (that is with the hose connected directly to the power head) then I change the hose to the ear muffs down at the water pickup, and it beep again, which lead to think it may possibility be the impeller, what do you thinks ?"

"Jorge,

Either a problem wi

"Jorge,

Either a problem with the water pump or a restriction in the water passage to the pump.

It could be the impeller, a leaky gasket at the base of the pump, or even debris in the water tube.

Tony"

"Jorge, I had a very similar p

"Jorge, I had a very similar problem. It's posted here somewhere. Mine beeped 4 beeps every 2 minutes. It turned out that it was the float switch in the oil reservoir that is mounted on the engine. Check yours, if it is full, then the floating sensor inside may be the problem. Undo the bolts that hold the reservoir in place, turn it upside down and tap it a few times. Then keep it upside down and turn your key (not the engine) on. If the beep stops, that's your problem. A brand-new reservoir costs about 85 dollars."

"Thanks Brett, you are absolut

"Thanks Brett, you are absolutly rhigt, it is the switch, whem I desconected the switch the beep stoped"

"Jorge,

It is probably not

"Jorge,

It is probably not the switch, but the magnet on the float. It has probably come unglued.

Tony"

"Jorge,

I'm not sure if

"Jorge,

I'm not sure if you can see the float on that model, but I think you should be able to. You will have to remove enough oil from the tank to expose the float. On some tanks the magnet is on top of the float, so that it can not become dislodged; on others the magnet is glued to the bottom of the float. I don't know how yours is arranged. I do not know when they changed, but they put the magnet on the top to solve this problem.

Do the test that Brett suggests. If the beep stops, the magnet is the problem; if it does not, then it is probably the switch.

The magnet problem can be fixed if you can get the float off. On most models it is secured to the tube that it rides on by a washer. I have never had this problem with the tank that you have, so I'm not sure if you can do this, but if you have the kind of arrangement that I described, it is possible to remove the float and glue the magnet back on. You would have to make a tool to reach in and push the washer off, and another one to push it back into place when you are finished.

If the magnet is on the bottom of the float you have to leave it that way. You can not put it on top. That will only work on a tank designed for that.

Tony"

"Thanks Tony,I already took th

"Thanks Tony,I already took the tank out and I saw the float but did not look for a magnet, but there was nothing in the bottom of the tank because I cleaned it, I will pull it out again and look for that magnet, Thanks"

Back