Logo

Engine alarm but no code

willbaker13

We went out yesterday morning and rode around for about 20 min and then anchored in a cove for a few hours. Upon leaving the cove (2-3 min) the engine alarm sounded with the yellow check engine light on but there were no alarm codes. I shut the engine off and looked inside. Nothing leaking and water and oil temps/pressure were normal. Started and 2 min later it happened again. It seemed that anytime we went over ~1500 rpm the alarm and light would sound so we limped back home doing about 1000 rpm. Any insight into what would be causing this would be appreciated as I am not sure where to even start. As it's going to the mechanic for another issue later this week, if possible I would like to point him in a direction vs. them starting from scratch and racking up the hours...

Engine is a 2013 VP V8 300-C-A with a DPS-B outdrive.

Thank you

We went out yesterday morning and rode around for about 20 min and then anchored in a cove for a few hours. Upon leaving the cove (2-3 min) the engine alarm sounded with the yellow check engine light on but there were no alarm codes. I shut the engine off and looked inside. Nothing leaking and water and oil temps/pressure were normal. Started and 2 min later it happened again. It seemed that anytime we went over ~1500 rpm the alarm and light would sound so we limped back home doing about 1000 rpm. Any insight into what would be causing this would be appreciated as I am not sure where to even start. As it's going to the mechanic for another issue later this week, if possible I would like to point him in a direction vs. them starting from scratch and racking up the hours...

Thank you

Any update? I am also facing the same issue and I still can't figure out where the problem is and I am tired of it. Recently, I was searching for a site online where I can find the best assignment service that helps students with their essay assignments and when I was searching for it online, I found a site where I found 6 of them and all are the best ones. Also, I found a link to your post and I came here in the hope of getting my problem solution.
Any update?

Any update?

Thank you
Will - I see you posted here as well as the volvo forum. And based on this, there are now three of us with the exact same issue. Just curious if you have tried what I did and just let it idle to see if the alarm sounds or if your issue is only over a certain rpm. Hopefully it's something as simple as an O2 sensor but just wish we could get the codes ourselves. Still interested in whether or not the volvo penta easy connect would help. it's around 400 bucks but would be worth it if we could get more info before going in for service.

Looks like this is working now...

We could idle fine, it was just when it hit ~1500rpm and above. And only on the return trip after sitting in a cove for a few hours.

Our mechanic put the engine on the diagnostics computer they have and stated the error code that was showing as "CATDamaging missfire." They stated the cap and rotor needed to be replaced. I asked why this was a "random" issue and they could not 100% say why. They did a lake test and are saying everything is fine now - i'm out of town on business and won't get to pick the boat up until this Friday.

I've never used the VP easy connect but as the boat is getting older I may, as it might save on troubleshooting labor hours...

Back