Logo

Electronic ignition

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
does any one have a wire schem

does any one have a wire schematic for the petronix electronic ignition system expecially the diode fix and how it hooks into the system.

"or wire it like a merc, takes

"or wire it like a merc, takes out the esa all together.

And here is how. Pic is copied and pasted from another well known website: poster is a renown expert, without peer.

335295.jpg
wire like a merc

"With the Cobra Dog Clutch gea

"With the Cobra Dog Clutch gear engagement, you will have trouble coming out of gear into Neutral. I'd think that eliminating an ESA would cause problems! (we must momentarily lower RPM for the teeth to dis-engage easily!)

Also, I believe that Michael is asking for info related to the Pertronix ignition conversion and the diode fix and how it hooks into the system.... Yes/No?"

"mercs lower the rpms also, by

"mercs lower the rpms also, bye stumbling the motor, just a different method is used.

The merc method just grounds out one half the cylinders. Better method than the esa system."

"I am upgradeing a 2.3L and af

"I am upgradeing a 2.3L and after a little bit of looking on the web I found a complete distribitor, coil and module that is marine rated. I was wanting to check out the schematics of other conversion kits to see how is the best way to wire in the ESA. I believe that the diode fix for the petronix kit will work with this one as well. thanks Michael"

"I am considering going to ele

"I am considering going to electronic also, but on the wire diagram,do the B & C wire go to the ESA module? Do you just splice those two together & eliminate the ESA ?"

"You cannot eliminate the ESA.

"You cannot eliminate the ESA. If you do, you will have a very difficult time coming out of gear into neutral. Often an impossible time and it will make docking maneuvering very difficult."

"Actually you can eliminate th

"Actually you can eliminate the ESA, that's what the Chief is trying to show above but what you would need to do is take the purple wire from A and put it on C, then you would just be using the interrupt switch to ground out the coil as Mercruiser does. Timing of the shifting becomes even more important, you need to shift quick and decisively, if you drag it slowly there's a good chance you'll stall the engine. Haven't tried it myself but have heard of a few guys that have had good success going this way."

Back