Logo

Electronic ignition conversion for mid 70's Mercury 50hp Thunderbolt????

mercury99

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert the ignition in a mid 70's Mercury 50hp Thunderbolt to an electronic ignition? Any idea where to find the parts and instructions? Thanks in advance:)

Yes! It's called a Lightning Energizer system and it's one of the best Merc ever made. And since Merc used them on some of the later, distributor-equipped 500s, stock parts are available.

I have several of these units complete with switch boxes if you are interested.

Jeff

Attachments

• Lightning Energizer-1.jpg
    Lightning Energizer-1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 189
Yes! It's called a Lightning Energizer system and it's one of the best Merc ever made. And since Merc used them on some of the later, distributor-equipped 500s, stock parts are available.

Jeff

Hey thanks Jeff. I am basically looking to do a tune up on the engine. This is the first Merc I have had and the first outboard in years so I have a lot of questions and not many answers at this point:) What parts should I replace to do a good tune up?

Jeff
I need a switch box

Back