Logo

Electricity at the starter, but nowhere else

CptDanny

I have a Mercury 40 hp 4-stroke EFI from 2002. I attach an image of how the battery is connected to the starter. The problem is I have no electricity at the fuse box, not in the harness, and not at the remote control.
I must be doing something wrong, I guess I need to connect the electricity from the starter to the rest of the system, but how. There are already 2 red cables going from the battery connection at the starter.

Last edited:
That looks normal one side of the solenoid is always hot because it connects directly to the battery. The rest of the motors power besides T/N/T will come from the key. To be sure you really need a wiring diagram for your specific motor.

That looks normal one side of the solenoid is always hot because it connects directly to the battery. The rest of the motors power besides T/N/T will come from the key. To be sure you really need a wiring diagram for your specific motor.

So do I need to connect the remote control directly to the battery? Both + and -?

Last edited:
Where is the wiring harness for your motor usually comes with it from the factory. If you need to make a wiring harness you will need the wiring diagram.

I have a wiring harness, but theres no electricity in it. As I understand the power should go from the starter solenoid (which is connected directly to the battery) to the harness, but there's no power in the harness when I check with a voltmeter. I wonder if I need to do any more connections from the battery.

Get the WIRING DIAGRAM you can't attach wires wherever. Is the main fuse good you may need to do some diagnosing. The factory harness is usually plug and play not rocket science so something is wrong

Back