Logo

Electrical problems can someone please help

robalo520

"I have (2) 1976 70hp

"I have (2) 1976 70hp evinrudes on my robalo, it is a fixer upper and after cosmetics i installed new batteries, gauges, bildge pumps etc... when i turn on my battery switch hooked the water up and tried to turn the the ignition on, no power? i used a multimeter and probe light tester and I have power at the engine terminals I also checked the harness and power was going to the ignition switches. when you turn the key there is no return from the ignition... can anyone help with this dumb question?"

"It wss a little hard to under

"It wss a little hard to understand your description but did you check the terminals at the back of your key switch w/ your multi meter, to make sure you have power going back to the motors when the key is turned? It may be just a faulty key switch. Do you have a manual?"

"No I don't but I have not

"No I don't but I have not had a chance to check behind the ignition, although I just ordered two new ones any way becouse one had the thread stripped and was loose. Thanks and I will let you know how it goes?"

"Concur w/ C.DeF - description

"Concur w/ C.DeF - description is a bit tough to understand. Assuming you have 12 volts at the engine, you need to probe the ignition switch. The Red lead should go to BAT terminal, the purple should be on the IGN terminal and have +12 on it in RUN & START. A yellow/red striped wire should be on teh START terminal and only be hot during START."

"I appreciate this info folks,

"I appreciate this info folks, sorry for the rambling in my original messege I will try this and let you know how it goes. Thanks again."

"Attached is a document that e

"Attached is a document that explains the OMC switch set up and all the connections at different switch positions. Armed with this, they are very easy to diagnose. If this doesn't uploat, send me an e-mail to [email protected]."

"This may be wide of the mark,

"This may be wide of the mark, but do you have a "kill" switch? Is it possible the switch does not have the clip attached? Or is the ground wire attached to the wrong terminal on the ignition switchs?"

Not really that far off Robert

Not really that far off Robert. I didn't think of that but I should have. I've seen quite a few people complain of their motors not starting only to find the kill switch was off.
Launched one guy this spring and he kept yelling back to me he had no reverse. Can you guess what he was doing? (hint: which button on the remote will give ya throttle without going into gear)
He made it home.
So anyway brain Duhhs do happen.

"guys, thank you very much it

"guys, thank you very much it was the ignition switches that were faulty! and thanks for the diagrams and info WD it made it so easy and simple. greatly appreciated.... both engines are running smooth, i will let you know next weekend when we test run the boat. Once again thank you all."

Back