Logo

electrical issue

MJ Cummings

Hey all. New guy to the forum here. I have a 1985 Mariner built by Yammie. It s a 9.9c, 682 series Longshaft. It's a great motor, but I hit some chopped water via big boats and my motor wouldn't start.

We got towed in, thank you to the guy, and when I got home I tore into it. I must note I was 30 seconds away from buying a brand new 30 hp Merc.

I narrow it down to elecrical. I get a reading from the cdi box and magneto, nome from the coil (including the hold the plug to the block test, no go).

I ordered the coil pack, shoukd be here tomorrow.

Here is my worry... the cdi box and magneto are going to go soon. The cdi box is expensive but available, But.... the magneto is unavailable.

Here's the big question... do i try and collect the parts now and replace on expectation or put out the cash and buy a new 30 hp (boat is rated for a 40)

I used a voltmeter at the contact points for an accessory I don't have (alternator) coming directly off the magneto, just after the cdi box where the coil connects, and used the old sparky test on the plugs. I also felt 0 current going through the plug wires.

On the first 2, I got readings. Hard to see what they were, as she is a pull start.

My fear is age is going to get this motors electronics

Back