Logo

Electric start conversion 1976 Merc 200 20 HP outboard----Dad's old final wish

MilesM

Hello everyone,

I inherited this boat and motor from my dad. He wanted to convert it into an electric key start many years ago but unfortunately never got around to it. Since then, I have been fixing the boat, etc and now made it to the motor.

This is a 1976 Merc 200 20 HP outboard. (SN 4375874) model (1200506) with Mercontrol for throttle and cold start and a steering wheel. The motor has around 70 hours running time on it. I would like to get all the components to convert it to a key start. I am capable with my hands but not a mechanic and will get help as needed.

I am looking for a little help on identifying all the parts I need to get the electric start going. The motor already has a toothed fly wheel. I was told that the starter would be the most difficult component to get. I just purchased a new rebuilt one. I should have it by Wednesday and will get it tested.

My next component is the clamp to keep the starter in place, number 54-47992, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.... any help?

Aside for searching for parts here and there, my confusion is as follows. The electric start schematic on this site for my motor for example, lists the internal wire harness are required.... so I would be happy to get one. But, apparently the motor already has one in it or it wouldn't even run. Soooo... what I need is some help with someone knowledgeable to help me identify part by part, what I actually need to hunt down to make this happen. I don't want to be ordering parts and spending money for stuff I don't need. Sadly the kit is no longer available.

What I gather I need so far...
1. Clamp to strap the starter in place.
2. nuts to bolt the starter in place ( I assume I can just find some nuts that will work instead of the actual merc nuts.)
3. solenoid
4. Choke Solenoid
5. stop button (to be able to stop motor from the Mercontrol)
6. key cylinder with keys to start motor from Mercontrol
7. Electric choke control of some kind to open and close the choke?
8. electric wires to bring battery power from the battery to the wire harness inside the cowl so it can all be wired up?
9. wired to bring connection from the motor to the Mercontrol?

I am sure there are more components. Can anyone spend some time with who is familiar with these old motors to help me get this all organized?

Trying to fulfill a dad's old wish....

Miles

I was in Waterdown just last Saturday.-----------I am about 3 hrs away , most folks would not bother to come that far for help.

That was kind of you to come down this far. Where are you located? If you have parts I'd be happy to make a drive up to visit you, purchase parts or if your a mechanic, install the system. Or if you want to send me a list of items I will need and I'll hunt it down. Obviously if your ever down this way I'd be happy to meet you. Waterdown is about 20 min from me. There is a boat shop there at highway 5 and 6. They gave me a few leads for my starter but didn't pan out.

Let me know what you have in mind.

Miles

That was kind of you to come down this far. Where are you located? If you have parts I'd be happy to make a drive up to visit you, purchase parts or if your a mechanic, install the system. Or if you want to send me a list of items I will need and I'll hunt it down. Obviously if your ever down this way I'd be happy to meet you. Waterdown is about 20 min from me. There is a boat shop there at highway 5 and 6. They gave me a few leads for my starter but didn't pan out.

Let me know what you have in mind.

Miles

Ok an update and still need a little more help. I have all the require components except 2 wires. I am looking for the following:

84-61393A7 rectifier to starter solenoid wire assembly
84-60871A14 choke solenoid to switch box plate wire assembly

I need one of each.

Can anyone help me locate these two wires?

Miles

Back