Logo

Electric Shift Issue 1972 65 Hp

I have the lower unit on the bench for water pump service. This engine has not been run for 5 years and stored outside.
I had read that you can test the hydro-electric shift by powering the solenoid(s) and hand turning the crank. It should take one revolution.

I grounded the case and applied +12VDC to the green solenoid lead and hand turned the driveshaft a couple of turns. It stayed in forward.
Same result with power to blue, and power to blue and green.

Both solenoids give resistance readings of 5.7 to 5.9 ohms.
When I apply power to the solenoid(s) I don't hear or feel any click or other noises.

What are the next steps to troubleshoot this?

??----Well ,---- that is how I test them ( in Ontario ) and it works flawlessly.---Green hooked up and I get neutral in one turn.-----Green and blue I get reverse in 2 turns.-----Takes about 1 turn to develop the oil pressure.----You should be able to detect a faint click ( stethoscope ) on these units.---Full of type-C oil ?----Turning the shaft clockwise looking down ?

Last edited:
With all respect, I use a slightly different method (more forgiving). Wrap a cord around the shaft two turns. Hold one end of the cord while pulling the other end to spin the shaft.

As for a click, the solenoids plungers are already down by gravity when not running. Energizing them merely holds them down tight, so they really don't move all that much.

Racer asked about the oil. Yes, what did the oil look like? Was it stored safely, full of clean oil? That is the key to longevity of these units.

I wondered about developing oil pressure with just one turn. Not representative of a running engine.
I wrapped the driveshaft spline end in masking tape until a 12 pt spark plug socket fit snuggly onto the driveshaft.
I powered the socket with a high torque low rpm drill and reran the test.

It works! Forward, Neutral and Reverse! I am so relieved.

I am draining the oil now. It looks super clean.

Thanks for all the input.

??---Some will argue for some reason.------A good unit will shift after 1 turn of the driveshaft with socket and ratchet wrench.----Simple as that.

??---Some will argue for some reason.------A good unit will shift after 1 turn of the driveshaft with socket and ratchet wrench.----Simple as that.

Sure will. In fact, it was designed to do that. Think about it--if it didn't shift to neutral almost instantly, the boat would move forward while cranking with the starter. All kinds of things could happen, and/or people to run over before it decided to shift.

Well-----I agree.------But the poster might be working on his first one.-----Here there is no manual needed to take one apart , diagnose and re-assemble one of these wonderful units.-----They are elegantly simple , well engineered and reliable.

Present a FOOL to argue with someone whose RIGHT....and I will show you someone trying to pee in your boot, then tell you it's raining.
DAILY QUOTE FROM TIM!

Last edited:
I refilled the gearcase and reran the test. Same result.
I am going to leave it as is. Rebuilding is way beyond my ability and ambition (I see allot of parts in the drawing).
It shifts and it it doesn't leak.
If the boat lurches forward on engine start, then we will revisit this topic.
I am moving on to the water pump.

Thanks for the input.

That's right. You can test it once you are assembled. If there's a problem, maybe someone here can "walk you" through it. If it doesn't hit neutral as soon as it begins to crank, it might mean a dismantle. Hey sir Racer, maybe there's some crap on the pump pickup making it slow to build pressure? Would spinning it backward before installing the impeller help to diagnose? Then try again in forward rotation....noting improvement, if any?

Last edited:
I see a "valve housing screen" in the parts diagram. Likely it is dirty?
Maybe I should have spun the driveshaft backwards before I changed the oil.

Not sure, never tried that. Might work. Just an idea to help diagnose without complete dismantling. Racer is very experienced in these, let's appeal to him or another more experienced tech. My focus has more often been directed on the smaller motors. Something I could carry up the hill by myself.

Back