Logo

Electric fuel pump

Dumbfish#1

Has anybody tried to put an electric fuel pump on an older outboard, I'm considering putting one on my 1984 150 evinrude, vro deleted, fighting fuel issues, and the mess of hoses under the cowling.

Those fuel pumps are ultra reliable.---Might need a new diaphragm.----I consider them an easy fix.-----But if you have issues with compression in the crankcase it is a different story.----Post the actual cylinder compression values.----That might offer some clues.----I would never consider an electric pump for one of these motors.----Do some trouble shooting and find the real issue.

Yes they are, this one was new a couple of years ago, my compression is good for my yr and model... but as I was gutting the old pump I found what I believe to be a 1 way valve coming from the crankcase to the fuel pump and it does not appear to be any good... I think the elec pump will be a good addition. I'll let you know.

The pulse limiter is a " flow fuse " and it protects the VRO from a high flow / air pressure spike.-----Air readily flow through it normally.-----Diaphragm pumps do not work with a check valve !

The pulse limiter is simply a safety device to interrupt the crankcase pulse to eliminate any danger of internal flame reaching the VRO pump. It is normal that air flow is able to travel in both directions thru it.

Back