Logo

Electric Fuel pump on a 200 HP Evinrude?

ronchast

Anybody ever put an Electric Fuel pump on a 200 HP Evinrude? I keep hearing that is the way to go? This one is a GT 200, a 1990 vintage, has had the VRO disconnected and now the pump cannot keep up. Anything over 1/2 throttle and she starts to fall on her face. Been through the carbs, Ignition and now the fuel pump seems to be dying. The local guys say to put an electric pump on, but I have no idea what kind to to get. I figure 200 hp and a BSFC of .70 - .73 to be safe would need up to 145 lbs / hr fuel capacity at probably 4-6 psi?

Looking for any recommendations - Thanks everyone

ronchast

My recommendation would be NOT to put an electric fuel pump on it. To big of a fire hazard.
Yep. I'm sure it can be done, but the extra plumbing of a regulator and return line are going to be interesting. Also, is the charging system up to the task of running your electronics, spark, and a fuel pump while keeping the battery charged?

The OEM pump should supply plenty of fuel to the engine. Is there a rebuild kit available for that fuel pump? Maybe try that before you dive into an electric pump.

Thanks!
These are simple inline 3-6 psi pumps ( low pressure) , self priming, low current draw, no regulator or return line required ( like many EFI systems need for high pressures) all this does is keep the carbs full and then shuts off as needed.

I found a simple one that can deliver 300 GPH for $35 - Fuel pumps BRP / OMC $450 no kits - the locals around the Missouri river all tell me to go electric and dump the oem pump - too much trouble - too expensive. - might give it a try, they seem to have had good luck ???

Last edited:
VRO was converted to Premix - pulled the pump apart and all seemed to be in order, checked the impulse line, OK - looks like it has been in a fire at one time. Parts of the housing are rough and partially melted as is the inside of the silencer. Bought this motor sight unseen off the east coast - have no history on it other than it needed a lot of electrical work. Still falls off from 1/2 to WOT plugs look lean - like a .67 BSFC which would make me nervous, even on a low duty cycle engine like this with minimal thermal loading on pistons. Timing is right at 18° at 5000 RPM - filter is good, I even took it out just to see, and it still fell on it;s face.

Im in the same boat lol. Vro pump is shot. Been mixing my fuel. Have an electric pump on already, but it dosent seem to put out enough to run wot. In fact, it barely got me to and from at half throttle. The pump I used was a 1psi 36gph and it wasnt enough. Now Im back to the drawing board. My boat is heavy too. Its a 96 Hydrasport 2000cc. Weighs 3800lbs with engine. Last time it ran good when vro pump took a crap. We were 25 miles out, running around 42mph, everyone was having fun, then bluh, It died. Been on the hunt for a good electric pump for a while now. Any help would be appreciated.
I would prefer not to hear how dangerous it is as I have been boating for the last 15 years, I have every safety precaution set up on my boat already for an electric pump.

Thanks!
These are simple inline 3-6 psi pumps ( low pressure) , self priming, low current draw, no regulator or return line required ( like many EFI systems need for high pressures) all this does is keep the carbs full and then shuts off as needed.

I found a simple one that can deliver 300 GPH for $35 - Fuel pumps BRP / OMC $450 no kits - the locals around the Missouri river all tell me to go electric and dump the oem pump - too much trouble - too expensive. - might give it a try, they seem to have had good lu
ck ???[/QUOTE

If you don't mind me asking but which brand and model Fuel pump you are referring to cause I'm in the same boat with fuel issues and looking for one that will work

The VRO pumps are so easy to take apart for inspection / repair.-----No idea why folks always want to go overboard with an electric pump !!

Back