Logo

Edelbrocks on Crusader 270bs

hidro

"Hi all, Ive been enjoying rea

"Hi all, Ive been enjoying reading the posts here and have learned alot in the last few days. My situation is to replace spread bore carbs with 1409 Edelbrocks on 85 model 270 Crusaders. My question: do I need adapter plates for the swap? Or is it a direct bolt on? Are any of you guys using the wedge plates to level out the carb? Boat is 85 model 44ft Gibson with v-drives. Anyway thanks for the advice in advance and glad I found this great site. Glen"

".."do I need adapter plat

".."do I need adapter plates for the swap? "

Yes. Edelbrock sells them.

On leveling out the carbs, one of my goals this year is to do just that. Why the engines were installed with the carbs tilted back 5 degrees at idle (and even worse on plane) is beyiond me.

Jeff"

"The note in our manual is tha

"The note in our manual is that V-drives do not use the wedge plate. I HAD them on our 454's (v-drives) when I had to redo them SO...When I put it all back, I DID replace them with new wedge plates. On plane, our boat has a tendencey to ride slightly bow high unless we trim, looking in the engine hatch at speed...they do have an appreciable angle on them."

Al:

Do you recall where you

Al:

Do you recall where you got the wedge plates? Looking for a couple.

Jeff

Yes you will need an adaptor f

Yes you will need an adaptor for each engine. The Edelbrock 1409's are very nice. Improved my gas milage noticably from my Rochesters. On my engines the carbs face the stern of the boat rather than forward to compensate for the angle.

"Guys thanks for the info. It

"Guys thanks for the info. It seemed like I would probably need the adapters, but didnt want to buy them if not necessary. CP Performance has the wedge plates, but they could be done on a milling machine too. G"

"Just wanted to follow up on t

"Just wanted to follow up on the carb replacement issue. The Edelbrocks are great! The engines are starting and running better than ever. I dont have a report on fuel economy yet, but I am very happy with the results of the swap. Thanks for the advice."

Major milling is required to m

Major milling is required to mount Edelbrocks on a Q-jet manifold UNLESS the manifold was designed for several types of carbs. The Q-Jet has tiny primaries and gigantic secondaries.

Jeff

"Yeah I agree it wouldnt be pr

"Yeah I agree it wouldnt be practical to mill the manifold, but milling adapter plates wouldnt be much. The Edelbrock adapter plates did the trick."

Back