Logo

Early Evinrude "Prestolite" Tilt Unit questions

Eperot

Hello everybody. I have a 1960 Evinrude Starflite II on my '59 Glasspar Seafair restoration project. I just acquired a vintage Prestolite tilt unit and was surprised to see that it will bolt right up to my Starflite no problem...my transom mounting bracket already has the raised area with three threaded holes to mount the motor/pump unit on it. Does anyone know when they began producing these tilt units? I thought it was in the later 1960's so I was pretty amused to see an engine from '59-'60 already set up to accessorize with power tilt.

The other question, and more important, is what is the rubber hose and it's bracket at the end for? It looks like just a normal brake hose with hard line ends and a bracket with two screw holes...presumably it was mounted somewhere? What purpose does it serve? I've failed to find anything instruction, set up, or use wise for the Prestolite aside from one picture in a 1965 OMC accessories pamphlet over at Fiberglassics.

I even found a NOS tilt switch panel for the helm...sweet.

Any information is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• Presto1.jpeg
    Presto1.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Presto2.png
    Presto2.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Presto3.jpeg
    Presto3.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6
Ah, l see that now! Makes sense. I’ll have to go check out where it mounts. Thank you! Also, what type of fluid would be most appropriate for these units? Any idea when OMC first offered tilt as an option?

Back