Logo

Dumb question, and revival plan

bajaking

I recently acquired a neglected 1995 Johnson 3.3 J3ROEOB, and as far as I can tell -- which isn't very far -- there is no shifting mechanism. Is that right? No neutral? Just the throttle lever on the front. Does going to idle magically put it in neutral or something? Or is the intention that one stops the engine instead of using neutral on such a small engine?

Anyway, that doesn't matter if I don't get it running. My plan of attack is:
  1. empty tank of stale fuel
  2. empty carb of stale fuel
  3. attempt to clean fuel filter (will replace if engine shows signs of life)
  4. remove spark plug and clean crud (if not obviously too fouled)
  5. remove prop and inspect impeller, replace if needed
  6. add fresh fuel/oil mixture
  7. put it in a bucket of fresh water and attempt to start, using starting fluid if needed

Does that sound about right?
If that gets it to start, I'll proceed with gearcase oil change, fuel filter and spark replacement, seafoam treatment, lubing all the points, etc.
If not, start diagnosing...

Agreed; however, it was free and it actually fired up today and hummed nicely after nothing more than fresh fuel. If something can be put to use instead of adding to the trash heap, I'll opt for the former. Just a dinghy motor for when I'm too lazy to row, anyway (which I admit is often!).

Still looking for an answer to my first question: some small outboards, including this 3.3, don't do neutral, is that right? Seems surprising to me, especially since the stop button isn't the kind that needs a safety lanyard/clip.

Back in 1950 the small outboards did not need shifting or any switches.-----Most of the operators survived I think !

going to idle magically put it in neutral or something?

I'll quote myself: youtube has revealed to this obvious non-gearhead the magic of a "centrifugal clutch". Although, that doesn't seem to be the case with my "new" engine. 1950's style on-and-go it is. Let's see if my clumsy limbs outlive usage of the motor.

Drained the lower unit oil; brown and black, no milk. Maybe this thing was not too neglected after all. But no pee yet, despite an intact impeller and thorough paperclip prodding of the indicator outlet though.

That motor is not even a " true Johnson "------It is a rebadged repainted motor from offshore.-----Also marketed in black paint as Mercury.----And blue as Evinrude.----And others.----If the Johnson parts book shows NLA for a part then look it up for a Mercury as they may have had a different spares arrangement !

If the Johnson parts book shows NLA for a part then look it up for a Mercury as they may have had a different spares arrangement !

Thanks, racer, this is very helpful and noted. There are quite a few non-available parts, although ebay and China have conspired to offer what will surely be inferior replacements, e.g. impellers.
Finally got lower unit disassembled, and reassembled...and water pump cover plate on correctly this time. The "attach drill to crankshaft and run lower unit in a bucket to see if water pump works" worked a treat. Now the engine pees like a baby and sounds good at all rpms albeit needs just a little choke. Maybe just hasn't been run at tempfor far too long.

Next up: put it on the dinghy, do some seafoam shocks to see if that helps with the smoke and choke and general health, and maybe a carb rebuild if it isn't flawless after that.

Back