Logo

Dumb Newbie question about Volvo Penta and chevy

Someone (not me!) crunched up the hull of their Bayliner, and settled with insurance.

I just now bought the engine from that totaled boat --I saw it run, and at 100 hrs, it's tight. (I got the whole 305 red engine, the works, connected to a bell housing a cut-out section of the transom, everything, including the 280 outdrive and instrumentation... plus paperwork of past maintenance. $2,000.

Unknown; I think the original engine was a 4-cylinder "red Volvo", and it got re-powered to this 305 a while back, and this one even overhauled a while back. Blah-blah, I'm not sure.

>>Here's my newbie question<< We talk about having a Volvo Penta power,ed boat but where does "the Chevy part" end, and where does the "Volvo penta part" begin?

Block, valves -- 305 Chevy (but red!). Closed cooling system, I dunno. Carter 2bbl carb. (but red!) Bell housing, gimble bearing, drive shaft Chevy?

What's with the "red"? Do I just figure out the year, and stick with Chevy parts? But Volvo parts when it comes to the outdrive?

I guess this same question would hold for "Blue Crusader" rigs and "Black Mercruiser rigs. Is engine color just for bragging rights?

the manufacturers paint color is just the color of the manufacturer, The GM base engine is the same what is different are minor items, The GM motor is the same to the crankshaft end, engine circulating pump, some fuel pumps, some raw water pumps from there the manufacturers add there special items. Manifolds ,couplers, outdrives, etc.

Someone (not me!) crunched up the hull of their Bayliner, and settled with insurance.

I just now bought the engine from that totaled boat --I saw it run, and at 100 hrs, it's tight. (I got the whole 305 red engine, the works, connected to a bell housing a cut-out section of the transom, everything, including the 280 outdrive and instrumentation... plus paperwork of past maintenance. $2,000.

Unknown; I think the original engine was a 4-cylinder "red Volvo", and it got re-powered to this 305 a while back, and this one even overhauled a while back. Blah-blah, I'm not sure.

>>Here's my newbie question<<

1....... We talk about having a Volvo Penta powered boat, but where does "the Chevy part" end, and where does the "Volvo penta part" begin?

2....... Block, valves -- 305 Chevy (but red!). Closed cooling system, I dunno. Carter 2bbl carb. (but red!) Bell housing, gimble bearing, drive shaft Chevy?

3........ What's with the "red"? Do I just figure out the year, and stick with Chevy parts? But Volvo parts when it comes to the outdrive?

4....... I guess this same question would hold for "Blue Crusader" rigs and "Black Mercruiser rigs. Is engine color just for bragging rights?

1...... Including the Marine ignition, fuel pump, carburetor, alternator and starter motor.... the GM components end at the rear engine flange and flywheel surface. From there on back it’s Volvo Penta!

2..... The closed cooling system is likely by SJE, or one of the other Marine CCS manufacturers. What you’re calling a bell housing is a Flywheel Cover.
There is no Gimbal bearing!
The short drive shaft inside of the F/C is a PDS (primary drive shaft)

3...... Marinized GM parts yes.
Yes..... Volvo Penta parts regarding the stern drive.

4.... No bragging rights that I am aware of. These are colors chosen by the stern drive or inboard company.

FYI:
the OHC 4 cylinder engine requires the 2.15:1 reduction.
a V-8 will require the 1.61:1 reduction. No exceptions!!!!

Make sure that the lower gear unit is the 1.61:1!

Thank you for that important info, Ricardo!

On the front of the engine, down low, is a johnson raw water pump? (#8904? on the front brass cover- drive shaft driven) for the heat exchanger system ; where would I start to look for a rebuild kit (impeller, gasket) for that unit? Johnson? Volvo penta? GM? Damn I have a lot to learn!

Thanks y'all for being so darn helpful so far!

If it is a Johnson pump, it will have 4 cover screws. It will be either a F5B-9 or a F6B-9. Each uses a different impeller.
The impeller “cam” will be Johnson, and must be correct for the 5 or the 6!
The bearing(s) will be industry standard.

If by chance it’s an older Jabsco, it will have 6 cover screws. Parts will be specific to Jabsco....... but again, bearing will be industry standard.

In either case, the base flange must be indexed to the V-belt pulley correctly (one of 3 ways only) ..... or it may wobble!

The cover gaskets should be available. If not, you can make one from a brown paper grocery bag. Oil the paper before using it.

I use glycerin for initial lubrication. (do not use a petroleum based product)

Edit:

FYI.... Sherwood also offers a crankshaft pump. The impeller shaft is keyed unlike the Jabsco and Johnson.

Last edited:
Back