Logo

Dual Battery set up w/ Cole Hersee 24059

Billy Baroo

Hi!
I don't know anything about boats, but I have bought a 1984 Bayliner w/ a 125 in it that I am thinking about working on. I found something on it that I am not sure about. It has a 24059 Cole Hersee solenoid on it, with wires dangling around, and two dead old batteries, one a starting battery that is 10 years old and what I think is a "dual pupose"(can be used as a deep cell or starting) type battery that is 6 years old. They are different, and that doesn't make sense to me. He had the batteries marked #1 on the 10 year old starting batt, and #2 on the other, not sure why. Wouldn't you want two batteries in parallel to be exactly the same and of the same age?

So what is the point of that solenoid? Is this some kind of parallel set up to increase cranking power? Do I even need to run two batteries? I think I figured out how they are connected(positive from each batt to a main post on the 24059, the two negative posts on the batts connected together, and the little post from the 24059 that is not connected to the ignition coil, it is connected to the negative post on batt #1) but I would rather not use two batteries because they are so dang expensive. This boat doesn't have an electric trolling motor or anything like that. It just has a Hummingbird 400TX fishfinder. No other electrical accessories besides the stock boat wiring that is all there.

Whoops, I posted this in the wrong section!! It is now in the electrical where it belongs, THANKS for any comments, please leave them there. If I could figure out how, I would erase this thread.

Back