Logo

Dual 2018 225 new alternator still errors out

Ecalkins

Have dual 225s. I had an alternator fail on the port motor. It was rebuilt and reinstalled. Now after about 5 minutes of running I get an alarm and the battery light is lit. I can shut it off and restart but after 5 minutes it alarms again. when I install a Honda Service Jumper plug into the diagonstic port and turn on the key, I have the battery light solid red and the MIL light blinks 1 sec on and 4 seconds off then repeats.

Hi,
I'm not sure this will be of any help because it's not the latest information available. But the code chart I have lists the 1 blink code as being an oxygen sensor fault.

It lists these as being possible causes:

Oxygen sensor unplugged

Short or open in oxygen sensor wire

Faulty O2 sensor

Spark plug misfire

You may need to scan the PCM with the Dr.H tool to get to the root of this problem.

Sorry I can't offer more.

Probably the alternator has failed again. You will need to test it. It should be putting out between 13.4 to 13.6 volts.

Hi,
I'm not sure this will be of any help because it's not the latest information available. But the code chart I have lists the 1 blink code as being an oxygen sensor fault.

It lists these as being possible causes:

Oxygen sensor unplugged

Short or open in oxygen sensor wire

Faulty O2 sensor

Spark plug misfire

You may need to scan the PCM with the Dr.H tool to get to the root of this problem.

Sorry I can't offer more.
Easy enough to check, I will pull O2 sensor off Starboard motor and test
Thank you

If you are measuring that with a regular voltmeter/multimeter, 14.6 V is about right. For some strange reason, when the ECU sends the voltage reading to the Honda digital gauges, it knocks it down to around 13.4 - 13.6 volts. I know that because I hooked up a voltmeter directly to my battery switch and routed it directly to a voltmeter on my console, so I can read that voltage and also read the voltage on the Honda digital meter coming from the ECU.

What are the first five numbers on your engine serial numbers?

You may be dealing with two separate problems - a possible failed HO2 sensor, or as JGMO pointed out, a bad plug, bad coil, or fuel pressure out of spec. First, unplug the HO2 sensor and clean connectors, look for any bent or recessed pins, and any chaffed or broken wires in and out of the plug.

The second problem is the alternator light. Coming on after five minutes of running is strange. Are you sure that the battery is good?

If you have a battery selector switch, temporarily bypass it and retest. If that doesn't work, use a pair of auto jumpers direct from the battery ground to engine ground. Retest. If that doesn't help, run a jumper cable from battery positive to the big terminal on the starter solenoid and retest.

Back