Logo

DT85 starting issues

Gonfishin

Hi guys, I have a suzuki DT85 hp 2 stroke bout 1998 model ,motor has always run good with no real major issues other than starter needed replacing and some fuel issues from old fuel in tank when i brought it and a recent battery replacement ,other than that happy with how it goes ,it normally winds over ,strong healthy wind and fires within say 5 sec ,however went to start other day ,it started out winding strong for few seconds then went real weak like battery was flat ,terminals on battery got hot an postive starter terminals and starter got pretty hot ,I accidentally left battery hooked up with isolated on the week before ,i assumed battery was shot so i replaced it under warranty, put new battery in and still the same ,starter gives a brief kick but once it engages flywheel it basically stops ,i cleaned all terminals on battery ,starter and starter relay but still nothing ,if i take plugs out it winds over strong but when i put them in it barely turns over ,its getting spark and fuel but its winding over like battery is flat but battery is brand new ,hopefully it’s something simple i might be missing any help/advise would be much appreciated guys
Thanks heaps

Are you getting 12 volts to the starter when cranking? Other than checking and cleaning terminals did you investigate the possibility of hidden corrosion within the wires? Heat is usually associated with high resistance. No mention of checking grounds.

Back