Logo

Driveshaft Shim Spacing

Csdisme

Hi everyone, this is my first post to the group and I'm looking for possible suggestions or recommendations.

I have an '83 Evinrude 70 #E70ELCTE that I picked up with a project boat. The engine had a cracked lower unit but included in the sale was a second complete lower unit. The spline on the driveshaft is different so I need to swap them out. Everything came out with no problems and I thought as long as I had it apart I'd replace the seals and bearings. Most of the specialized tools are available on eBay pretty cheap, but not the driveshaft shim space tool. I have looked around for someone willing to rent one with no luck. The mechanics I have contacted want the whole rebuild and are not willing to just measure the gap.

Is anyone aware of anyone renting the tool or willing to just do the measuring? Or, is there any way to measure the gap without the tool? I live on Lake Erie just outside of Cleveland, but would be willing to drive a couple of hours in any direction to get it done.

I apologize for the lengthy post and thank you for your time and response in advance.

Be safe!

Have you considered using something called -----" Mechanics blue "----Or " permatex bearing blue "----A simple paste to allow you to check tooth contact on gears.----With time and patience you can do this at home.----Yes I have the factory shim tool kit.----But too far away with a COVID border in the way too.

Have you considered using something called -----" Mechanics blue "----Or " permatex bearing blue "----A simple paste to allow you to check tooth contact on gears.----With time and patience you can do this at home.----Yes I have the factory shim tool kit.----But too far away with a COVID border in the way too.

Thanks for your reply. Actually I hadn't thought of that, I will definitely look into it. I have seen it used on a car differential, but have not used it myself.

Thanks again, I knew I was right in thinking that there are many people out smarter than I am!

Back