Logo

drip from elbow to riser

Brownie289

Contributing Member
Had a sea trial of a new to me boat, slight drip at 2000 rpm from elbow to riser, both engines.

Means swap of elbow, riser AND manifolds correct?

Thanks

Crusader 454s, about 850 hours on them.

Are they raw water or fresh water cooled? If FWC, you should not need to change the manifolds, just risers/elbows. If they have been recently done, a drip is not necessarily fatal. The bolts might need a slight torquing down. I did mine last year and it took me a couple of months to finally get a minor drip to stop.

I should have spent some time resurfacing the mating surfaces and/or use a bit more RTV. I used a light coat and it was a little too thin.

Are they raw water or fresh water cooled? If FWC, you should not need to change the manifolds, just risers/elbows. If they have been recently done, a drip is not necessarily fatal. The bolts might need a slight torquing down. I did mine last year and it took me a couple of months to finally get a minor drip to stop.

I should have spent some time resurfacing the mating surfaces and/or use a bit more RTV. I used a light coat and it was a little too thin.

Ok thanks;
Yes they are fresh water cooled, the previous owner claims they were installed about 3 years ago. My instinct would be a slight torque down after
they have warmed up.

They only dripped at 2000 rpm and up, there wasn't any other sign of water.

Thank you.

torque them cold.....if any weren't tight, run the engine up to operating temp,let it cool own and torque again...

A little leak on the outside just makes me wonder how much it MAY be leaking on the inside, which is far more important. It is what you can't see that does the damage.

A little leak on the outside just makes me wonder how much it MAY be leaking on the inside, which is far more important. It is what you can't see that does the damage.

Agree, it's going to be checked, the inside and replaced if need be.
The threat is raw water leaking inside the riser, with a blocking plate to the manifold it shouldn't be there though right?

Last edited:
The concern is WHAT is dripping - coolant or raw water...

Either way, the potential issue is the leak getting into the exhaust passage and flowing back down into the cylinder(s)...

Ok thanks, it was raw water, the drip was between the elbow and the riser.
understand the threat is raw water getting into the exhaust passage then back to cylinder.

Back