Logo

Drain Old fuel out of 150 EFI

Happyguy

Good day all.

I just purchased a boat with a 1997 150 merc EFI 2 stroke and getting all the year old gas out if it. I have drained the vapor separator by opening the screw in the lower left of the VS. Then I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel tank and work the primer bulb until all the fuel was sent to the motor thinking it was sent to the VS. This is as far as I intend to go unless there are more things I should do getting the fuel out of the engine. I notice when draining the fuel out of the VS it looked or was mixed with 2 cycle oil.

When I'm ready to fire up the engine with fresh fuel in the tank (after removing the old) what should I do to fill the VS and make sure there is mixed fuel in it? Well, it could have been fuel stabilizer in the fuel out of the VS. I don't know if the fuel is mixed in the VS or somewhere else before it is injected. I haven't got that far in the service manual yet.

The compression is good at 120psi but it has a miss 2 plugs have been fouled. I intend to remove all the spark plugs and turn the engine over with the starter to clear the cylinders of raw unburnt fuel before trying to fire up the engine. I plan on new spark plugs and when I get it started check to make sure each has fire to it with an inductive timing light. Some time back I watched a video when the person was checking the compression and grounded one plug wire so as not to hurt the ignition system. Do I need to do this when all spark plugs are removed? I think the biggest problem with this engine is the old fuel and fouling of the plugs.

Is there a brand of spark plug recommendation? I like NGKs best of all.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    991.6 KB · Views: 4
Back